Display Port or Hdmi?

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Got a new monitor. Comes with HDMI and Display port. I have both cables. Does one offer better quality over the other or are they basically the same? Using it for web and gaming...

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If you're referring to the Asus PB278Q in your sig, it doesn't matter much, since your 780ti supports HDMI 1.4, and so can drive the display at its native resolution either way. Use whichever you already have cables for.

I do have a slight preference for DisplayPort when available, as it features a proper mechanical latching mechanism. Less chance of the cable accidentally disconnecting...

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If your PC has both ports, and you have both cables, try them both and then you decide which you like better.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The article does not say that, unless you're gaming at "a really high-resolution."

There is no material difference for typical gaming and PC use at normal (non-4k) resolutions.

I've got 780 and 970 cards. I just bought a new BenQ HD "gaming" monitor. I might have considered the ASUS cited above, if I thought the time was right, but passed up the opportunity for a needed purchase.

As far as I know so far, you only get the native resolution support at 60 Hz refresh rate on either cable. If I'm wrong, I want someone to tell me.

Even so, refresh rate doesn't make a big difference, and at higher resolutions, I think that's "all there is."

I know I mentioned this here in a recent thread, though. For some graphics cards and/or their drivers, DisplayPort doesn't "display" until you get to the Windows log-in screen. Not good if you're looking to get into BIOS. I DID try a 10' DP cable, and this factor was dismaying. I probably should have tried it on my 970 card with the latest driver.

jime1

Feb 22, 2015
I've got 780 and 970 cards. I just bought a new BenQ HD "gaming" monitor. I might have considered the ASUS cited above, if I thought the time was right, but passed up the opportunity for a needed purchase.

As far as I know so far, you only get the native resolution support at 60 Hz refresh rate on either cable. If I'm wrong, I want someone to tell me.

Even so, refresh rate doesn't make a big difference, and at higher resolutions, I think that's "all there is."

I know I mentioned this here in a recent thread, though. For some graphics cards and/or their drivers, DisplayPort doesn't "display" until you get to the Windows log-in screen. Not good if you're looking to get into BIOS. I DID try a 10' DP cable, and this factor was dismaying. I probably should have tried it on my 970 card with the latest driver.

So you are saying if I connect it with display port, I wont be able to see bios screen :confused:, cmos setup and all. o_O... not cool.. so not cool !!

I hope HDMI does display.. then HDMI would be the only option !:colbert:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You have to understand the output order on the gpu and dp is the last in line. If you use dp, which I am now using, you have to disconnect everything from the other outputs in order for the card to shift to the dp output. There is no way in bios to tell the card to use dp first so if you have something connected to hdmi and dp the bios output will default to hdmi until windows loads and then show on dp if it is set to primary display. I learned all of this the hard way and I'm not happy about losing the ability to output to multiple displays because I wanted to use dp because my hdmi cable kept falling out of my monitor. If I can find a locking cable I might go back so I can make full use of my card and put the 760 back in its box. I'm using the 760 for the second display plus I've offloaded PhysX to it.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
You have to understand the output order on the gpu and dp is the last in line. If you use dp, which I am now using, you have to disconnect everything from the other outputs in order for the card to shift to the dp output. There is no way in bios to tell the card to use dp first so if you have something connected to hdmi and dp the bios output will default to hdmi until windows loads and then show on dp if it is set to primary display. I learned all of this the hard way and I'm not happy about losing the ability to output to multiple displays because I wanted to use dp because my hdmi cable kept falling out of my monitor. If I can find a locking cable I might go back so I can make full use of my card and put the 760 back in its box. I'm using the 760 for the second display plus I've offloaded PhysX to it.

That's only relevant if we're talking a multi-monitor setup. It hardly matters if the OP is only using a single monitor. I haven't yet had a problem with DP not displaying BIOS/UEFI, provided of course there is no DVI/HDMI monitor connected.

You're quite right about HDMI randomly disconnecting because of poor plug design (especially when mounted vertically). Its quite frankly annoying... :)

jime1

Feb 22, 2015
what kind of tech is HDMI ? If it cant event keep itself in place of the socket, its useless!! Standards should discontinue HDMI, or find a better plug for itself which would stay put.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I saw a few plugs on amazon with locking mechanism in the plug to hold them in place. Of course I found them after switching over to dp lol. You might consider using one to keep the plug in place. I moved to dp because the cable I'm using has the locking ends to hold it in the port socket.

xFrosties

Mar 7, 2015
Got a new monitor. Comes with HDMI and Display port. I have both cables. Does one offer better quality over the other or are they basically the same? Using it for web and gaming...

If you're a gamer, use display port. Display port can support up to 144Hz where as HDMI supports only 60Hz if your graphics card can support that many frames, then Display port it is. Your monitor should also support 144Hz for this to work.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If you're a gamer, use display port. Display port can support up to 144Hz where as HDMI supports only 60Hz if your graphics card can support that many frames, then Display port it is. Your monitor should also support 144Hz for this to work.

This particular monitor doesn't support anything more then 60Hz, so its a toss-up between either... :)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
They will look 100% the same. Now obviously HDMI sucks as a physical connection, so based on that I'd go with DP.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

That seems contrary to my one and only experience with it. I've got a BenQ XL2420Z supporting 144Hz. I was sure that the DP port only offered a 60 Hz option in the Nvidia control panel. Maybe I missed something -- if what you say is true (can't imagine why not), then it's still a viable option for a system with only one monitor -- or "all Displayport" connections.

dosinu

Apr 6, 2015
I personally use both ports and have never noticed a difference, tho I play on 60hz, probably a difference higher up in the hertz.