Display Port does it make a difference

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Getting a new Dell 2709W friday. It has a display port. Should I go with that over DVI?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Although technically it should not matter, because DP has a higher bandwidth the cable you use will likely be better quality since it is made to a higher standard.
If you have a crappy DVI cable it can cause problems like sparkling since some of the data may be lost.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Visually you'll notice nothing. It has other advantages that make it better though just like HDMI has advantages over DVI as well cus they can do more and support more than just video.

Here's from wiki:

Advantages over DVI

Slimmer cables and a much smaller connector that doesn't require thumbscrews; connector pins don't run the risk of bending if improperly handled (the connector being much smaller than the DVI connector exposes it to other problems however; it's much more sensitive to breakage due to cable "tugging", the same problem that has been seen with the SATA and USB connectors).

Based on micro-packet protocol.

Allows easy expansion of the standard

Multiple video streams over single physical connection (introduced in version 1.2)

Long-distance transmission over fiber optic media

Designed to support internal chip-to-chip communication

Can drive display panels directly, eliminating scaling and control circuits and allowing for cheaper and slimmer displays

Aimed to replace internal LVDS links in notebook panels with a unified link interface

Compatible with low-voltage signalling used with 45 nm CMOS fabrication

Supports both RGB and YCbCr encoding formats

Auxiliary channel can be used for transmitting bi-directional USB, touch-panel data, etc.

Fewer lanes with embedded self-clock, reduced RFI.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
I'd use it simply for size and ease of use considerations if nothing else. I hate plugging in bulky awkward DVI cables.