Display port disconnects

heroxoot

Mar 22, 2017
So I have been struggling with this for a while. I have an R9 290X, and an Asus VA32AQ 1440p monitor. I have searched high and low, but no answers yet. When I turn off the monitor (power button) windows will react fine, but when I turn the monitor ON, windows instantly disconnects and reconnects my displayport. No issues on HDMI, however I use HDMI for game consoles, and thus the monitor is now on an HDMI switch. I've ordered a new cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D1D9EC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Hopefully this one is still certified even though it is not labeled, because it's just the 3ft version of the 6/10 which do say they are certified? However this has just been a constant battle. The monitor does not have DVI, and VGA cannot do 1440p as far as I know. So on the chance this cable does not work when it comes in tomorrow, is there a fix for this? I cannot see it being the monitor having a defect because the HDMI and VGA both function as expected. So my guess was that the DP cable that came with the monitor is an older one that may have the 19 pin enabled (Power Return). I've heard this causes issues and was removed in later cables. I do not know if this Asus cable is certified to more current specs even though it touts the DP logo. I've heard that this can be how DP handles power down, but it does not seem right to me.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What exactly don't seem right?
When it detects power to the monitor, it re-inits it. This happens on all DP monitors, so, it isn't a cable issue.

heroxoot

Mar 22, 2017
It does not do this on HDMI? It never did it with my DVI monitors. Let me say it like this. When I turn off the monitor, it acts normal, as if windows knows it is still plugged in. When I turn it back on? It resets windows as if I quickly unplugged it and plugged it back in. That isn't normal. If it reconfigured the displays on power off? Ok fine, but instead it waits till I turn it back on and acts like it was unplugged and replugged back in as the monitor is turning ON.

If you're telling me this is normal I won't believe it. It causes my graphics card to crash half the time. I've been told by a couple its probably a bad cable, however on the chance it is not, I'm looking for other experiences with it.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Right, Windows don't do this on VGA/HDMI/DVI, since those are all still connected when you power off the monitor.
Once DP monitors go off, there is no more active connection to it, Windows reconfigs the desktop, and you get to play the icon/window move game (unless you use MST and as long as the primary monitor don't sleep, or do a cable hack).

You are saying Windows doesn't reconfig the desktop immediately, but, instead, waits for the monitor to power up again before it does that?
That could be cable related, or a bad display port on the monitor.

heroxoot

Mar 22, 2017
That is exactly what I'm saying. And my new cable which I found out is not DP certified does the same thing. The Asus one at least touts the certified symbol. So maybe my port is messed up, or maybe my monitor just acts weird. It never loses a signal during use, it's just the turning it off thing.

Again, it's fine on HDMI.

Last edited: