Display crashes during game randomly then pc crashes.

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
It can be 5 minutes or it can be 5 hours... it will just do it randomly it tries to come back but after a few attempts i lose display signal followed by the pc crashing/rebooting.

Ive had this issue since first getting my 2200g ryzen, i have tried all of the drivers with every update but no joy.

any ideas ?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
overheating? maybe your system specs aren't the best for this game? Bad ram?

how about giving us more detail on the system and game(s) in question?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ryzen 2200G APU? This isn't an ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobo, by any chance, is it? Those were underspecced on the SoC VRM section, they won't run 4C APUs very well at all under heavy loads because of that. (I owned a few, couldn't get a 2200G stable. Was able to get a 200GE stable though.)

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
Sorry yes...

Temp goes no higher than 45c not a demanding game..

Ram passed 4 passes on memtest and also had it running overnight a few months back with no errors.

2200g is overclocked ran a few different stress tests that have pushed the chip harder than this game would both in temp 72c and in useage... Furmark,ingine, occt etc.. no crashes no fails. Had the. Running for over an hour at 72c with no crash.

Seems to be a driver crash that doesn't recover then pc crashes

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
Ryzen 2200G APU? This isn't an ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobo, by any chance, is it? Those were underspecced on the SoC VRM section, they won't run 4C APUs very well at all under heavy loads because of that. (I owned a few, couldn't get a 2200G stable. Was able to get a 200GE stable though.)

Asrock b450m pro4

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Asrock b450m pro4
I've never owned / used the ASRock B450M Pro4, but it appears to be the same design as the ASRock B350M Pro4, right down to the VRMs. That MAY be the problem.

Can you loop Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 on "Extreme" preset for more than a few hours?

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
I've never owned / used the ASRock B450M Pro4, but it appears to be the same design as the ASRock B350M Pro4, right down to the VRMs. That MAY be the problem.

Can you loop Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 on "Extreme" preset for more than a few hours?

Now that is a good question only ever ran superstition at high for a few runs.

Will give it a go and get back to you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
CPU part of Apu is underclocked the overclock is on the igpu part but I will run at stock just to see how it goes for a day or two 👍
Unfortunately, THAT's the portion of the VRM section that is weak on those boards, the voltage plane used by the graphics on the APUs.

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
Unfortunately, THAT's the portion of the VRM section that is weak on those boards, the voltage plane used by the graphics on the APUs.

That's actually quite good news as I plan on getting the rx580 in the next few months and then disabling the igpu and ovrrclocking the CPU so that helps to know the CPU of might be good :)

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
So I decided to try the heaven stress test with the overclock still on before I set it back to standard.

So far the heaven stress test has been running for an hour repeat and here is the settings.

I believe it's running 1080p extreme ultra and so far no crashes and temp looks decent... It's dx11 where as my game is DX 12 incase that might be the cause for the crashes?

It must be a driver issue that it randomly crashes then doesn't recover... Causing pc to crash. But why everyhhingnhrcks out good in these tests it only happens in games .. games that are less intensive than the tests 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_234012072.jpg
    IMG_20200718_234012072.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
LOL, did I miss it, or have you yet to tell us which game is crashing? :D This could be a known bug or issue, so what's the game?

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
LOL, did I miss it, or have you yet to tell us which game is crashing? :D This could be a known bug or issue, so what's the game?
I have noticed it with a few games.

But I've only been playing the one game for the last 2 months so only been referring to one game crashing.

But yeah I've had it with a few games.

It just flashes like it's Trying to reload but doesnt manage it and pc crashes...

On the rare occasion I'll get a bsod with video TDR failure but mostly just straight crash no notice.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have noticed it with a few games.

But I've only been playing the one game for the last 2 months so only been referring to one game crashing.

But yeah I've had it with a few games.

It just flashes like it's Trying to reload but doesnt manage it and pc crashes...

On the rare occasion I'll get a bsod with video TDR failure but mostly just straight crash no notice.
LOL you still have not named one game. ;) Don't worry, we won't judge you for playing waifus in deep space or something. :p Seriously though, have you looked to see if the games in question have known issues with AMD APUs or graphics drivers in general? Because if running stock does not resolve the issue, that is the place to start.

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
LOL you still have not named one game. ;) Don't worry, we won't judge you for playing waifus in deep space or something. :p Seriously though, have you looked to see if the games in question have known issues with AMD APUs or graphics drivers in general? Because if running stock does not resolve the issue, that is the place to start.

Lol! My bad yes games I've noticed it with

Project cartographers halo 2 I play this exclusively

Fortnite battle royal

FIFA 19

No I haven't sorry just took it as an issue with my driver/ GPU as it had happened with a few games

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That is a mixed bag of titles, and a quick search did not turn up anything glaring in the way of bugs or common issues with your APU. Are you on the latest AMD all-in-one drivers?

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
That is a mixed bag of titles, and a quick search did not turn up anything glaring in the way of bugs or common issues with your APU. Are you on the latest AMD all-in-one drivers?

I've tried all sorts....the chipset and driver for motherboard... He latest whql from.amd... the latest beta etc... Using ddu to remove it all properly in safe mode etc.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Back in the mid-aughts, I had a really expensive gaming PC which crashed randomly for seemingly no reason at all. It went on like this for about a year and a half at least, and eventually I got so tired of this I spent a whole lot of money buying an entirely new PC with entirely different components in it, only to be plagued by the exact same issue with the new PC as well.

...This was unsurprisingly extremely vexing for me, and I was initially lost as to any sort of explanation, other than perhaps being haunted by evil spirits, or cursed by some god I'd angered or somesuch.

However, it turned out to be a faulty DVI LCD monitor which was the root cause of it all. The one common factor between both computers. I couldn't tell what exactly in the monitor caused the problem, but after replacing it under warranty everything worked just fine afterwards.

Sometimes mysterious issues can have unexpected causes. Don't exclude anything.

Also, surprisingly commonly, random computer crashes are because of bad power supplies. If you haven't tried replacing yours with a spare you got laying around, perhaps you might want to consider it... :)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
Back in the mid-aughts, I had a really expensive gaming PC which crashed randomly for seemingly no reason at all. It went on like this for about a year and a half at least, and eventually I got so tired of this I spent a whole lot of money buying an entirely new PC with entirely different components in it, only to be plagued by the exact same issue with the new PC as well.

...This was unsurprisingly extremely vexing for me, and I was initially lost as to any sort of explanation, other than perhaps being haunted by evil spirits, or cursed by some god I'd angered or somesuch.

However, it turned out to be a faulty DVI LCD monitor which was the root cause of it all. The one common factor between both computers. I couldn't tell what exactly in the monitor caused the problem, but after replacing it under warranty everything worked just fine afterwards.

Sometimes mysterious issues can have unexpected causes. Don't exclude anything.

Also, surprisingly commonly, random computer crashes are because of bad power supplies. If you haven't tried replacing yours with a spare you got laying around, perhaps you might want to consider it... :)

Hi thanks for the reply, I have had this issue with both my TV and pc monitor which have set up for switching between both depending on the game etc.

And the PSU I'd only a few months old o built the whole pc up from scratch a few months ago using pc part pickers..
So new psu, new ram, new mobo, new Apu..

Just keeping tower case from previous setup

I'm getting video TDR failure and atikmpag.sys or something as cause

fendertele

Mar 21, 2020
new updat followed a fix i found on youtube to stop the time out issue... pc no longer crashes but driver still crashes for 5 seconds before reconnecting.... need to stop the issue from happening although the workaround is better than having to boot up constantly.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Sounds like some kind of APU issue on the graphics side of things. Have you tried downclocking the APU to see if that helps? Perhaps it is unstable.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
switch to discrete graphics and see if that alleviates it? grab an el cheapo PCIe card from Amazon before moving to the RX 580 imo