Disk properties and Disk mangement disagree

Oct 29, 2015
This is an odd one, I've already done some searching and really only come posts from people who don't understand partition size with formatting.

Had a customer bring me in an MSI gaming laptop (can't recall the model now) that he uses to map forestry plots and roads. He had a rather odd setup for storage, laptop had two 500 GB hard drives, OS was 200GBs,one data partition was the remainder of that drive, and the other two partitions divided the other drive. This left him with bits of left over partition that alone weren't large enough to allow him to continue to bring in more mosaics for his plots.
Any way we consolidated all this data onto a TB hard drive, had it hooked up through a USB dock. Checked to make sure that data was there, that it worked and ran (the data is a combination of database files and aerial photos), drive properties showed a full 1TB partition.
Ejected the external, shut his computer down, removed the 500 and installed the TB. When I powered it up the TB showed as being unformatted, ran chkdsk on it, it repaired the partitioning table, he was able to open his map data again. He was happy he could get to work, took it home so he could get back to working on his plots.

Called me later on that afternoon, under This Computer (Windows 10) the drive shows that the partition is only 465GB with 60 GB free. I remoted into his computer and checked under disk management, it shows the drive as being a full TB partition (well the typical 930GBs you'd expect to find). Set him up to run chkdsk /r and told him to restart his computer after it finished. Stopped by my shop this morning on the way to do an appointment, chkdsk had completed without finding any issues.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before or if I'm having my usual luck of boldly getting an issue that no one has had before.

I realize the best course of action is to wipe that drive and reformat it, like I said before just curious and wondering what everybody else did in this circumstance.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
How exactly did you consolidate the partitions? Was it a simple copy to the new HD?
Having to run a chkdsk right off the bat tells me something is wrong with either the clone/copy process, or the HD itself. Have you checked the SMART data?

BTW, I dunno if this was a option or not, but for a laptop, I would have copied the OS partition to a SSD, then the rest to the new HD.

Feb 25, 2011
What process and tools did you use to migrate the data to the new drive? (Starting with the OS partition and boot data.)

I recently had a very similar-sounding problem cloning a 250GB SSD to a 500GB SSD on a Macbook Pro using dd. Try as I might, I could NOT get the partition to expand, because as far as the partition table was concerned, it was still on a 250GB SSD. At various points as I tried tweaking/repairing the partition table, different tools reported the drive as being different sizes, and the partition showed in some tools as expanded and other tools and nonexistent.

Carbon Copy Cloner did the job in the end. So you might just need to reclone with a different tool. Although a bare install will work too.

Oct 29, 2015
For the consolidation of his map data I did just a simple file copy, had the new TB hard drive hooked up using a data transfer kit from cables2go. After seeing this weirdness happen, I got my employer to get a me a new one. I prefer the startech ones myself but he's a cables2go kinda guy.
The supreme p*ss-off about the data copy is that I created an image of his hard drive to a fresh (different) TB drive because I was feeling a little paranoid. Same story with that one as far as showing unformatted. But I used the same data transfer kit.

As for when I cloned the OS hard drive I used a Active@ disk image pro and used the clone disk utility.

Originally I was pushing for this guy to replace both hard drives, but you know how some business owners can be. I wanted to get him into a 500GB SSD and a TB or possibly a 2TB hard drive for his map data.

Feb 25, 2011
It's more than likely the software you used to clone the OS drive, not the cable. I'd try again using Acronis or some other popular HDD->SSD migration tool that's known for dealing with disparate drive/partition sizes.

edit: that makes more sense now.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015
I'm hoping at some point soon he'll be able to be without it for a day or two to try somethings out and test this.