Dishonored is the epitome of why i love PC gaming.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
The sense of control and mobility in this game is amazing. I can scale buildings in seconds and the blink ability which lets you move instantly from one place to the next not only makes the game tactical but gives a sense of speed that's just awesome.

I can lose hours sneaking around in this game and I really feel like a bad ass assassin playing it, Im older now and I just cant get into a lot of the games out now. I tried farcry 3 and battlefield but they bored me after a couple of hours. This games fantastic if you havent played it yet give it a go!

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
whatever fc3 had to offer I feel like I already experienced in the original crysis, which I think looked and played much better

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
i just you-tubed it and it looks pretty cool, but this thread isn't a pissing match on something as entirely subjective as game preference.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
You obviously didn't get to the last island with the wing suit. THAT was fun.

Idk FC3 bored the crap out of me to. Much like a Michael Bay movie, a few dramatic set pieces won't make a bad movie good, but it will make it highly profitable.

Also, of all the mechanics to copy from Assassin's Creed, did they have to take the whole "climb tower and unlock area" mechanic?

Anyways, it wasn't a bad game but it definitely overrated.

Edit: Oh and don't pull a Steve Jobs and tell us we are playing it wrong. It's perfectly boring if you play it as intended. :p

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The sense of control and mobility in this game is amazing. I can scale buildings in seconds and the blink ability which lets you move instantly from one place to the next not only makes the game tactical but gives a sense of speed that's just awesome.

I can lose hours sneaking around in this game and I really feel like a bad ass assassin playing it, Im older now and I just cant get into a lot of the games out now. I tried farcry 3 and battlefield but they bored me after a couple of hours. This games fantastic if you havent played it yet give it a go!

Go play the old thief games then - they have some good stealth stuff and Garret is a WAY better character. The whole silent protagonist thing didn't work well for me in Dishonored. It's a great game, but it didn't live up to Thief 1 & 2 IMO.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Far Cry 3 boring? That game was anything but boring to me lol.

I liked FC3, but compared to Dishonored it's pretty monotone. Every step in Dishonored involves a decision, and you have so many ways to approach each situation. With FC3 it was basically all about being in this really beautiful environment blowing the crap out of stuff.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Um...can't believe no one mentioned that Dishonored for PC is a console port. At least they made changes for PC.

jlchoi

Jun 5, 2007
www.heatware.com
Thanks for reminding me that I was 10 minutes late to the $3 price mistake for the GOTY on Steam.

Hopefully it'll be just as cheap in the coming Holiday sale.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Love the game as well.

I picked up the Brigmore Witches DLC during the steam sale. Haven't played it yet, but the first Daud DLC was really good and much better than your "typical" DLC.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for reminding me that I was 10 minutes late to the $3 price mistake for the GOTY on Steam.

Hopefully it'll be just as cheap in the coming Holiday sale.

did anyone actually process that?

I had it in my cart almost instantly, and it kept timing out when I tried to process it.

The price soon updated while in my cart.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
Go play the old thief games then - they have some good stealth stuff and Garret is a WAY better character. The whole silent protagonist thing didn't work well for me in Dishonored. It's a great game, but it didn't live up to Thief 1 & 2 IMO.

dishonored kind of reminds me of halflife 2 in that regard. i dont know why but the nostalgia is strong for me in this game, I also love the art aesthetic although the environment textures are a little low res.. no doubt due to the fact that the game was aimed for xbox 360 / ps3. the character models and clothing looks great though! I haven't ever played the old thief games but I heard good things, hopefully the new thief game in the works lives up to its predecessors!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
did anyone actually process that?

I had it in my cart almost instantly, and it kept timing out when I tried to process it.

The price soon updated while in my cart.

No, it would not let people check out at that price.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
Love the game as well.

I picked up the Brigmore Witches DLC during the steam sale. Haven't played it yet, but the first Daud DLC was really good and much better than your "typical" DLC.

I'm looking forward to playing the DLC myself once I complete the game, saw some clips on youtube and read reviews and it looks promising.

I finished the house of pleasure part last night after spending some hours trying not to kill a single guard and getting all the runes etc. Im playing The Royal Physician "chapter" right now.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
I guess what I mean by my thread title was not that dishonored was exclusive to PC but that the PC experience does the game more justice than playing on console would. I know that if I picked this up for xbox or playstation it wouldn't be half as engrossing for me.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I was uninterested in Dishonored as soon as I saw "Bethesda" on it lol. My one friend that did play it found it pretty average.

I thought FC3 was pretty awesome though.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I guess what I mean by my thread title was not that dishonored was exclusive to PC but that the PC experience does the game more justice than playing on console would. I know that if I picked this up for xbox or playstation it wouldn't be half as engrossing for me.
Agreed. Dishonored is one of those games (like Bioshock or Deus Ex) where playing up close with a keyboard & mouse on a large screen with headphones just "draws" you in & feels much more immersive than sitting several feet away with a joypad.

The Thief trilogy were fantastic games. If you're interested, there's a community patch that lets you play the Dark Engine games (Thief 1 & 2 + System Shock 2) in glorious 1920x1080.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
dishonored kind of reminds me of halflife 2 in that regard. i dont know why but the nostalgia is strong for me in this game, I also love the art aesthetic although the environment textures are a little low res.. no doubt due to the fact that the game was aimed for xbox 360 / ps3. the character models and clothing looks great though! I haven't ever played the old thief games but I heard good things, hopefully the new thief game in the works lives up to its predecessors!

Absolutely - I'm not trying to diminish Dishonored. The game drew me in really well too. The heart was fun to play with and hear its comments. The spells worked well, though I didn't like having to teleport all the time. The art was incredibly well done.

I just think the story needed the help of a better protagonist, and that I enjoyed having 50 arrow types a little more than spells.

SL_Thief3RPS.jpg

Agreed. Dishonored is one of those games (like Bioshock or Deus Ex) where playing up close with a keyboard & mouse on a large screen with headphones just "draws" you in & feels much more immersive than sitting several feet away with a joypad.

The Thief trilogy were fantastic games. If you're interested, there's a community patch that lets you play the Dark Engine games (Thief 1 & 2 + System Shock 2) in glorious 1920x1080.

I'll have to look that up - I know SS2 has a ton of patches, figures Thief would too :D

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Dishonored actually bored me. I hate how they tried to box you into a certain playstyle. Not to mention that a teleport ability in a stealth game makes the whole thing kind of trivial.

I quit after 4 or 5 hours and never looked back.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I was not only bored by it I was also constantly annoyed with the console centric interface it had. Its far from the epitome of a PC game, its an adequate port but nothing more.