Discuss - "Learn to Live with the other half"

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

This article, and a few other facebook posts I've seen, talk about how Democrats should recognize that half the country disagrees with them.
I don't disagree with the author's premise, but the problem I do have is that this argument is only ever levied against Democrats and not Republicans. The logic the author is using applies in both directions, and yet Mitch Mcconnell and Lindsay Graham were not unseated for being massive hypocrites.

Arguably, Republicans are even electorally rewarded for being extreme, while Democrats going far left (which is nowhere near "far left" in the rest of the world) is a bridge too far.

What's P&N think?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have rural family who think its insane anyone would want to live in a city and send their kids to a school where they would be exposed to kids from diverse backgrounds who have different beliefs than them. Any time they visit me in the city they complain about how bad things are here and how it is unsafe. Parking their car on the street and walking 2 blocks to the store is a traumatic experience. Constant fear of vehicle getting broken into, constant fear of being out past dark. Always asking why we don't move to the suburbs/exurbs. I grew up and went to school with kids from every background and I loved the diversity. Lots of people in rural areas find that horrifying.

Meanwhile as a white person I have no fear of going to a rural area. I would probably have a different perspective if I was not white. I can respect their preference for a rural lifestyle and see the appeal of it, but that respect does not flow the opposite direction toward my life choice of living in a dense urban area.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv and Pohemi

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
this is a rural urban split. Dems need to figure out how to appeal to those voters
The Dems have tried subsidizing roads, power grids, telephone service, schools, hospitals, farms, ranches, logging, mining, and just about every aspect of rural life and are despised for it. Maybe stop pandering to what Dems think rural folks need and start pandering to what they say they want is a more reasonable approach. Cut off the welfare state for folks who claim to hate it and they might vote for you.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is it just the left's job to understand the right? Republicans never pay a price for their failure to appeal outside of angry white men.

One thing I know the right doesn't even know what they are mad about.

Example I've used before, they hate Obamacare. In Kentucky they have a thing called Kynect. It the expanded Medicare coverage as part of Obamacare. They love Kynect.

There will never be an understanding until we are operating under the same set of facts.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
The angry white vote is going to eventually be watered down, however the power structure will die kicking and screaming as witnessed in the here and now

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
City folk need to do an exchange program with rural kids. I grew up in a town of under 2000 people, my high school class was 48. I watched cows humping in a pasture outside my window as a kid. I understand rural mindset. I know how half of my graduating HS class lives.

A lot of it just fear and ignorance. Fear of a big city. Fear of food. Fear of other cultures. Fear of everything because they don't walk outside of their bubble. I know. I was one of them. Driving to "the big city" of Peoria IL was a big deal. My mom refuses to drive on interstates. My Dad hates going to Chicago and will take more expensive flights out of little regional airports just to avoid it. As far as food ketchup is all you need and black pepper is too spicy. And those are democratic voters in Rural America.

Country kids do need to get more exposure to other cultures, learn to not fear cities, understand that is more to food than an American franchise, and that city folk aren't some educational elite utopia. Cities are just a lot of people going to work each day and coming home to a family.

That said, urban voters have some self reflection, but the reality is that there are more people in cities that "know" country than the other way around. I know. My wife and I were two people that have done that. We have a lot of classmates that did the same. We left for opportunities that a rural life couldn't provide.

We need to lift the fear and ignorance (I'm not saying intelligence, ignorance is an intentional nuance) of many rural minds and I think that starts with kids somehow. They shouldn't fear cities or urban life or the people that live there.

Reactions: Pohemi

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Well rural tends to be less educated and religious and white so there is that

Reactions: Pohemi

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I live in a Trump county.
I deal with Trump supporters every day.
Husbands of several of my wifes friends are Trump supporters and we've had several discussions.

I have heard their arguments.
They have yet to provide one that wasn't based on a false premise.
They consistently fail in supporting their argument.
They already lost out on some of the standard bullshit talking points because their wives ratted them out.
Husband - "I'm doing a lot better under Trump!!!"
Wife 2 feet behind him who actually handles all the bills - " No we're not"

I've always been polite and heard them out. Took notes.
Unfortunately for them, I checked the math.
They are their own worst enemy

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
City folk need to do an exchange program with rural kids. I grew up in a town of under 2000 people, my high school class was 48. I watched cows humping in a pasture outside my window as a kid. I understand rural mindset. I know how half of my graduating HS class lives.

A lot of it just fear and ignorance. Fear of a big city. Fear of food. Fear of other cultures. Fear of everything because they don't walk outside of their bubble. I know. I was one of them. Driving to "the big city" of Peoria IL was a big deal. My mom refuses to drive on interstates. My Dad hates going to Chicago and will take more expensive flights out of little regional airports just to avoid it. As far as food ketchup is all you need and black pepper is too spicy. And those are democratic voters in Rural America.

Country kids do need to get more exposure to other cultures, learn to not fear cities, understand that is more to food than an American franchise, and that city folk aren't some educational elite utopia. Cities are just a lot of people going to work each day and coming home to a family.

That said, urban voters have some self reflection, but the reality is that there are more people in cities that "know" country than the other way around. I know. My wife and I were two people that have done that. We have a lot of classmates that did the same. We left for opportunities that a rural life couldn't provide.

We need to lift the fear and ignorance (I'm not saying intelligence, ignorance is an intentional nuance) of many rural minds and I think that starts with kids somehow. They shouldn't fear cities or urban life or the people that live there.
But how do you set up that exchange program when the rural folk are already frightened of the city? You think they'll volunteer to send their kids off where they'll get "indoctrinated"? With all the gangs and crime and drugs?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have heard their arguments.
They have yet to provide one that wasn't based on a false premise.
They consistently fail in supporting their argument.
Ding....ding....ding

I see the same thing with Trumpers I run into

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You aren't doing 'better' if the govt is spending trillions in debt in supposedly a good economy. You are robbing Peter to pay Paul

Reactions: dawp and Pohemi

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Why is it just the left's job to understand the right? Republicans never pay a price for their failure to appeal outside of angry white men.
Because dems are the only ones with leaders that want to improve the country. The right is ruled by their oligarchs that are just fine with how the country is. They have convinced their followers that all their problems are due to urban democrats destroying their jobs and way of life.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is my tongue in cheek response to the article

What we need to do is not pull the same stunt as we did after the Iraq war for "peace and reconciliation" All that does is show future would-be tyrants that you can get away with trying to bring the nation down and crush resistance underfoot.

After justice is served and we have "the scouring of the Shire" so to speak then we can begin to potentially work together.