Discrimination -- What is it?

Agaemon

Mar 17, 2001
I have been reading a few threads lately that talk about discrimination. I am having a hard time understanding what it really is. I have always thought that discrimination is disliking somebody for something they cannot change. For instance, a black person is born black, he can't change his color. On the other hand, a fat person, unless that person has a medical problem, could lose weight. Not liking someone because they are fat, IMO, is not discrimination. This doesn't really bother me except for certain situations, mainly business situations. If an employer does not want to hire you because you are black (not because of the way you dress, talk, walk, etc.), but only because you are black, then that is illegal. But if an employer were to not hire somebody because of their religious beliefs, would that be illegal? How is that any different than not hiring a child molester? A child molester's performance in certain jobs would not be hindered, but how many people would cry foul if someone did not hire a child molester? I would like to know people's thoughts on this issue.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
We all have biases, some we are not even aware of. Sometimes it's just a matter of excessive favor in one direction. Of course, it is usally easy to justify our biases, to others and even ourselves... And it gets more complicated because each of these profiles has many attributes. Is that person not hirable because he is &quot;young&quot; or because his hair, or language, or 'character' or blah blah blah is inappropriate? I hate it when people assume that because I have no <ahem> that I can't even use a computer. But can I prove that is why a guy who talks about the importance of &quot;TP/CIP&quot; gets the job over me? -- probably not!

This reminds me: what about that bank employee who had the most putrid body odor imaginable -- it was in the news a few years ago -- and she literally drove away other employees and customers with her smell???? It was some medical condition, not poor hygiene. Or the &quot;Hooters men that felt discriminated against. It brings up many difficult situations and is a GOOD QUESTION!

Agaemon

Mar 17, 2001
I agree that disliking someone for what they can't change is unacceptable, especially when employment is in question. The women with the bad body odor had a disability, one that would not allow her to work at certain jobs, if ever. This would result in her being subsidized by the government, like many other disabled people. I am asking what people think discrimination is: I see people saying &quot;You can't not hire me because I am blank (religious, atheist, whatever), that's discrimination!&quot;. I don't believe it is discrimination if someone chooses to be a certain way. When an employer chooses to not hire a person for something they can change, like their weight, appearence, etc., I don't think this is discrimination.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
But &quot;choice&quot; is not always so clear. Does the guy who has to spend 6 hrs/week on the treadmill to keep down the gut vs the one who doesn't at all deserve not to have the job? Are you asking who is healthier or more socially acceptable? Whose standards are we using? If the employer prefers to hire only small breasted, black haired women -- a girl could change that with dye and surgery. What about the person with natuarlly wavy hair? Or no chin? I agree with you to a point -- some things can be controlled, like someone who is severely obese or chooses not to wash their clothes. But one could carry that to extremes and say the guy who bungie jumped and is now in a wheelchair &quot;chose&quot; to act stupid and have a severe injury.

I have to admit, I get a little irritated when a gigantic (300+) person gets two airline seats. Who can tell, however, if that was a matter of personal choice. I was once in an airplane going to a particular island where many people are quite tall and large -- and there was a woman about 6'5&quot;, 350 lbs. in the seat next to me. At least half the people on the plane could not fit comfortably in the seats. If that same woman was denied a job because she was &quot;fat&quot; that would definitely be discrimination and completely uncool.

So I guess discrimination involves differential behavior towards those who are unlike us (or who do not match our preferences).

Agaemon

Mar 17, 2001
I agree with what you are saying. I agree with most people that what they classify is discrimination, but I think there is a problem labeling things dicrimination when discrimination is against the law. Is it wrong/illegal for the tall and big women not to get a modeling job for a clothing line that only goes up to size 6? (making crap up, don't know women's sizes and stuff). I think neither. There is no way she could do the job. Is it wrong/illegal for a black person to not get a job because he is black? Yes, wrong and illegal. Is it wrong for a (black, can use anything) person to not get a job because of the way that person acts and talks? I do not think it is wrong, but it might be illegal(don't know). The first is not discrimination, the second is blatantly, and some people say the third is, but that is what I am disagreeing about. If I decide the way a person acts bothers me, then I should be allowed not to hire that person. Some people may say it is wrong because I dislike him because he is black (I dislike his attitude/clothing/something, which alot of black people might do, but I would also not hire a white person if they did the same thing). I want people to stop calling things discrimination when they are not.

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
discrimination is the act of discriminating, for whatever reason. no matter if i can change it, or i cant change it. all jobs are discriminating against potential employees. if i apply for a job at a respectable business, and i wear jeans and a cowboy hat, most likely ill be discriminated against because of my attire. or if i applied for the job, and i didnt have enough education, id be discriminated against for that. when it becomes illegal is when 2 people have the same education, but the one that was a female midget went to an ivy league school, and the white male didnt, and the white male is hired...thats when its illegal.

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000
Well we discriminate about allmost everything in life. Discrimination is defined as making choices based certain traits. Whenever we make a choice in life we discriminate. What is considered bad is discrimination based on certain traits of people.

Agaemon

Mar 17, 2001
I agree, but shouldn't employers be allowed to choose who they want to work for them? They aren't obligated to give you a job because you have better credentials. I think the employer should hire whoever he wants, and if he hires crap people, then his business will fail. If he hires good people, then his business will succeed and make him hire more good people. I also don't understand why people say &quot;I was better than this person at this job, but he was chosen over me&quot;. As long as a person is qualified, you don't have to hire the &quot;most&quot; qualified. If you pick unqualified people over qualified people, again, business will fail. Why is it a person can't choose to hire whoever they want?