Discover Card Sucks!

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
My wife and I just moved to a different state and have been charging things like mad. I got a call about three days after we moved asking me if the charges were all mine and I said yes and they said okay. I also told them that we are still going to charge about another 2-3K on the card and to make a not of it. She said will do.

Now two weeks later, I go out to dinner tonight and my card gets rejected. I call up Discover card to find out why and they said that the account might of been comprimised. They go through all the recent transactions and they were all mine. I ask them to open up the account and they tell me that the account is closed and I should get a new card in 4-6 days. WTF, I ask them to overnight it and they said they can't do that. So I look like an idiot at dinner because some fools didn't bother calling me and took it upon themselves to close the account.

Damn Discover.

Binar

Banned
Dec 21, 2000
i stoped using Discover long time ago when every cc was offering 9.9 % interest they wouldn't go less then 12.9%

they have no place in today's economy

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Unbeknowest to most of the world out there, Discover is "sub-prime" in the credit card world, similar to Capital One. You need to get a real card.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
That sucks.

I'd raise ever-holy-hell with them and ask to talk to a supervisor, then that person's supervisor, all the way up the chain.

And write a letter. Or two. Dozen.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
VISA > MC > Amex > Discover > Capital One

capital one has heir own card? i th ought they were just another issuing bank, like wells fargo or bank one. :confused:

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
My criteria for accepting credit cards has become 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers for the first year and <8% interest after that.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
Originally posted by: RossMAN
VISA > MC > Amex > Discover > Capital One

capital one has heir own card? i th ought they were just another issuing bank, like wells fargo or bank one. :confused:

Where I am capital One just issues Master card's or Visa's i think. They don't have their own card. They just have low interest rates.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
My criteria for accepting credit cards has become 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers for the first year and <8% interest after that.

hmmm, i must still be a young-un. i've only had 1 credit card, but i'm pretty proud that i'm still a college student, and my interest rate is down to 9.9%.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
There is no point to Discover. Places barely accept it. We only had fraud problems on the Discover card too. We cancelled our account and they still sent us new cards. When we got those assinine keychain cards (so you can be more paranoid about losing your keys) my dad calls up customer service and asks them if they are stupid. It was pretty funny...

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

hmmm, i must still be a young-un. i've only had 1 credit card, but i'm pretty proud that i'm still a college student, and my interest rate is down to 9.9%.
I never carry a balance, so I just brag about my credit limit.

$13,000 and I'm only 21. On one card. Card member since I was 19.

Yeah BP Visa loves me :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MrBond

No, they're just following a classic rule of bank finance. If a customer isn't using his credit line, then keep bumping it up until they finally do. They're selling money, and they're just sweetening the deal until you decide to buy.
The limit you have, btw, is only impressive because of your age. Otherwise, it's no big deal. Be careful it doesn't get you in trouble though.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000

Yeah so? My AMEX card has no limit and I am only 12!!

fyleow

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2002
My dad uses his discover all the time and it seems like a good card, he likes it because it has cashback. Now he has been using the Amex Blue Cash Card though. Discover is ok, but they tend to screw up authorization sometimes and it's been rejected by a few stores :(

Interest rates and all that mumbo jumbo is a non issue with us, the only thing we care about is annual fees. We don't carry balances on any of our cards.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002

Credit Card companies make money off you even if you don't carry a balance, they get a percentage of every sale. So even if you pay your bill, they are going to keep increasing your limit so you'll use it more...

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I like Discover quite a bit but I do agree that they get a bit overzealous in the security department. If I go to the mall and use it at maybe 4 or 5 places, guaranteed they will call.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Unbeknowest to most of the world out there, Discover is "sub-prime" in the credit card world, similar to Capital One. You need to get a real card.

twas unbeknown to me. cap one was the first card i ever got, so i stuck with them. discover is my most-used card now because it has cashback... i dont keep balances so apr means nothing to me. i see no reason why either card is bad?

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I got Discover card just for the 0.0% balance transfers with no fees...

and 6 mo after I pay it off, they offer it to me again in a few weeks... and again.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: LS20

twas unbeknown to me. cap one was the first card i ever got, so i stuck with them. discover is my most-used card now because it has cashback... i dont keep balances so apr means nothing to me. i see no reason why either card is bad?

because some guy on the internet said so!! :)

if the apr is ok, it's accepted where you shop, and the benefits are good, how can that be a bad thing.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

They both have infamously bad customer service, as optoman discovered.
Discover, for example, is owned by Novus, which in turn is owned by Sears. They can and do sell your name for multiple marketing purposes.
As for Cap One, their "no-hassle" card is the joke of the finance industry. Those guys practically invented the use of credit card customer databases for mass cross-marketing purposes.

But hey, I'm just some guy on the internet... :p

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Discover is my primary card... I like the 1% back and I've taken advantage of it. I don't need to worry about financing since I only charge what I can afford. BTW, there's a way to set it to email you if a purchase is > $XXX amount... so you don't have to worry about compromises. It was just the fault of the one rep who didn't follow-up with proper action after you told them it was okay.

I'm glad most places accept them.