Discount tire sold me 4 right tires....

melijak

Aug 5, 2004
So I spent 1500$+ on Bridgestone tires at Discount Tires ( they matched the tire rack price) and I realized that they are all the same. Amazing! Ther tires are run flats - one directional performance tires.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Some tires have a rotational direction, but they are not "right" or "left" side tires. Tires with an asymmetrical tread pattern (like the Bridgestone RE050A, for example) are simply asymmetrical, they aren't "right" or "left" side tires.

If the tires are rotating against the indicated direction then they are simply mounted on the wheel backwards, which is easily fixed.

ZV

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Money can't buy basic geometric skills?

Seriously, rotate the tire. Since this thread is posted, I will specify that you should rotate it around the longitudinal axis 180 degrees, and not the radial axis, which the car is already doing for you. :)

This happened to me on my first car when I had the tires mounted. Noticed it in the parking lot, so I drove it right back and they fixed their mounting error.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: melijak
So I spent 1500$+ on Bridgestone tires at Discount Tires ( they matched the tire rack price) and I realized that they are all the same. Amazing! Ther tires are run flats - one directional performance tires.
:laugh:

melijak

Aug 5, 2004
you can't just flip them around 180, since there is an inside and outside side to the tires.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
sorry man but those RE050A RFT's are just horrible tires. Should have replaced with Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec or Bridgestone Potezena RE-01R/11R

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
you can't just flip them around 180, since there is an inside and outside side to the tires.

Umm...there is text molded onto the side of the tire saying "inside" or "outside"?

Pics or shens. You probably just have asymmetrical tires.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have never seen a tire marked as inside or outside. But I have had tires with the direction of rotation arrow on them. And as said, that is easily put in the proper direction by any competent tire shop.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, and you can just flip them around on the rim so that "Side Facing Outward" is outward...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

There is NO separate right and left version. If you had bothered to read the first reply to this thread, you'd know that.

Asymmetrical tires are not directional. They have an "inside" and an "outside" edge, but they do not come in separate "left" and "right" versions. The "right" side tires are the same as the "left" side tires, they are simply mounted in the opposite direction. It's not the tire shop's fault that you cannot understand how asymmetrical tires work.

What you need to do is take the tire off of the wheel, flip just the tire, not the wheel 180 degrees and put the tire back on the wheel. Presto, problem fixed.

ZV

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Back to Discount Tire screwing up installs. Just got a new set mounted Friday. Tire pressure supposed to be 35PSI. Three of them were within .5 PSI, but the right front was 51PSI. Nice job guys, as I'm sure most people who go there wouldn't have the common sense to check the pressures afterwards.

melijak

Aug 5, 2004
Apperantly, I was wrong - "Asymmetrical tires are not directional" is correct. I thought that the tires were one directional and I was confused. It is still weird to me that the tread patterns do not match.

melijak

Aug 5, 2004
I would not buy the tires if I did not have to, but when you lease a car, you have no choice but to return it with same tires - these are runfalts too and I agree they suck!
Although, when I got a flat last fall, appart of the tire monitor system in the car, you couldn't tell you had a flat.
Goodyear F1-GS were the best performance tires I ever had by the way.