Disciples 3

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://www.gamefaqs.com/comput...swin/image/921134.html

I was playing Disciples II, Gold Edition today and had to look something up in the tips.
Went to my favorite place and never made it to the walkthrough. I saw the link for Disciples 3 and went investigating.
I had no idea they were working on it. Am pleasantly suprised. The graphics look good but that scares me a little. Too many excellent games have been ruined by pretty colors and shapes.

For those of you who dont know (I am guess a lot of you) this is a classic turn-based strategy that actually relies on Strategy and not resource wars or city management like many of the so-called "strategy games". You actually have to think and plan ahead and be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all your units, much like chess.
Swarming with Hyrdalisks is not an option here. You have to use your brain.

Unfortunately Heroes of Might and Magic 4 stunk and 5 wasnt too impressive overall. The genre kind of died after that. Disciples 2, while fun, wasnt very popular except with hardcore fans. No one was sure if a part 3 would be made.

The gameplay is somewhat similar to Age of Wonders and Heroes 4 but MUCH better. You have your leaders (who have their own abilites) and they take out between 1 and 5 units and wreak havok on the game map. Units attain XP and eventually levels and grow in power as well. Sometimes they gain new abilites but mostly they just get tougher. With the decent variety of leaders and the HUGE variety of units the game takes on some very deep strategy elements and definitely reminds us of chess. You also may take over smaller towns and research spells to cast on the world map.

I wont go into how great the animations are and how epic some of the missions can be, suffice to say if you think you are a strategist or a tactician, you should seriously check out Disciples 2. You can buy the Gold Edition at Target and Walmart in the Jewel Case section of PC games for around 10 to 20 bucks. I highly recommend.

HOLY CRAP!! :Q
I should get some money for that adverstisement!

Anyway, this looks good and I encourage everyone here to get part 2 and then beg for part 3. These are the kind of titles you wont find on consoles and may be the savior of PC Gaming.

/FANBOISM

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
My only beef with Disciples 2 is that sprites = fixed resolution = game is almost not readable on my monitor. At least I think that was disciples 2. Also, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, has a better combat system. Both games are uniquely fun. We need some Disciples 3 media.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: skace
My only beef with Disciples 2 is that sprites = fixed resolution = game is almost not readable on my monitor. At least I think that was disciples 2. Also, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, has a better combat system. Both games are uniquely fun. We need some Disciples 3 media.
The game is playable in 800x600 or 1024x768 OR 1280x1024.
You did see the config program didnt you?
It also had options for Direct3D (to enchance spell effects) and your own MP3 list for use in game.