Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
I have a dell xps x58 motherboard with an alienware bios flashed onto it as detailed in this thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/westmere-xeon-upgrade-project.2463698/ Yesterday I opened task manager to see that old 8 of my 12 GB of ram was showing up, but when I checked in cpu-z all 12 was recognized. So i reinserted my RAM sticks in all possible permutations to make sure they were functional, which they were. I cleared CMOS. and tried the fix outlined in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9MwkZ8cjs&t=23s None of these things worked

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my computer working fully again?
Thanks

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Did all modules ever function normally with this specific BIOS? Or is this something you were never able to get working?

I briefly read through the old thread so apologies if I overlooked something.

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
Did all modules ever function normally with this specific BIOS? Or is this something you were never able to get working?

I briefly read through the old thread so apologies if I overlooked something.
Yes the memory had been functioning flawlessly for 2 years in my current configuration. I noticed the problem a couple days ago, so it just appeared

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Which OS are you using? Almost sounds like a bug and that the memory is actually working fine.

What amount is detected at POST?

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
Which OS are you using? Almost sounds like a bug and that the memory is actually working fine.

What amount is detected at POST?
Windows 10. If I go into the bios it only detects 8GB. There is a "Memory-Z" function in the bios that will freeze the bios if I attempt to view the specs of dimm 3, which is the dimm not being recognized

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I know it's a pain, but is it possible for you to flash the BIOS to a stock version? Just to see if that changes anything; if not, take a closer look at the DIMM slot itself. I suppose excess voltage to a slot could fry it over time but that might be a stretch.

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
I know it's a pain, but is it possible for you to flash the BIOS to a stock version? Just to see if that changes anything; if not, take a closer look at the DIMM slot itself. I suppose excess voltage to a slot could fry it over time but that might be a stretch.
Unfortunately I can't go back to stock because my cpu won't work with the old bios. I looked at the motherboard and it looks fine. The only thing I haven't tried yet was a suggestion in the comments of the youtube video, which was to loosen or tighten the cpu cooler to change how much pressure is being applied to the motherboard traces.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'd just source a different CPU before you go tightening anything. Looser than snug will probably just cause higher temps and too much could break the socket/board. I've never heard of such issues being fixed by applying more force to traces but I'm not totally dismissing it either. If you need to borrow a CPU your local PC shop might have something or someone on the forum could lend you something for test purposes.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
disappearing memory is most of the time tied to a bad connection on the CPU, or dead ram.

First off i would play muscial chairs with ram, swap them out in different slots with each other, and see if the slot missing is the same.

If thats the case, its tied to either a bad board / bad ram slot / or bad CPU mount.

Then pull the cpu out, inspect the cpu pins, make sure they didnt get burnt out or bent.

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
I'd just source a different CPU before you go tightening anything. Looser than snug will probably just cause higher temps and too much could break the socket/board. I've never heard of such issues being fixed by applying more force to traces but I'm not totally dismissing it either. If you need to borrow a CPU your local PC shop might have something or someone on the forum could lend you something for test purposes.
I'll try not to break the board haha. I have another LGA 1366 cpu coming in for another build so ill put that in and see what happens.

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
disappearing memory is most of the time tied to a bad connection on the CPU, or dead ram.

First off i would play muscial chairs with ram, swap them out in different slots with each other, and see if the slot missing is the same.

If thats the case, its tied to either a bad board / bad ram slot / or bad CPU mount.

Then pull the cpu out, inspect the cpu pins, make sure they didnt get burnt out or bent.
I tried the musical RAM chairs and that didn't yield anything, but I'll defiantly take a look at the socket and cpu

Shellls

Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for the help! A new CPU fixed the problem. There was some oxidation on one of the pins on my old cpu. 40 bucks for an x5675 wasn't a bad upgrade either. Currently running 4.2GHz at 1.35V Scored a 952 in cinebench

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ahh its a x58....

i completely missed that...

LGA1366 were notorious for missing ram sticks.
This was the direct result of a bad cpu mount, or not enough voltage on the Vcore on the QPI / Termination.

Glad a new cpu worked out the issues tho.