Disabling GPU accelerated Flash

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by OVerLoRDI, Mar 17, 2011.

1. OVerLoRDI

OVerLoRDI Diamond Member

Is there a way to disable GPU accelerated flash? My video cards are primarily devoted to DC, and I can use my computer normally without much issue, the only exception is GPU accelerated flash which causes an unrecoverable crash of the display driver. The rest of the computer works normally, can still access shares from another computer, etc, just the display hard locks and there is no way to recover besides hard reset.

I'm using the cats 11.4 preview drivers, but this problem has persisted since the release drivers for the 69xx cards.

2. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

I am pretty sure its on a per browser, not global:

1. go to http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/ - must be a site with a large enough flash frame or the flash settings will get "stuck" and require you to reboot your browser.
    2. Right click in the middle, select "settings"
    3. Select the leftmost tab (tabs are at the bottom)
    4. uncheck the GPU acceleration option.

You might have to restart the browser (or just tab in chrome) a few time as its prone to freezing / crashing / doing weird stuff.

Beyond being very buggy (I hate flash with a passion, it burns like a thousand suns!), flash GPU acceleration also causes my GPU to get very loud, very noisy, and waste my precious (expensive) electricity.
    IE9 GPU acceleration doesn't do that BTW, just stupid adobe failash

3. Gloomy

Gloomy Golden Member

drops frames on 1080p flash videos for me, when I disable GPU acceleration on my laptop

4. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

then don't disable it.

5. OVerLoRDI

OVerLoRDI Diamond Member

Thanks taltamir

6. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

You should not have any problem running DC apps and flash at the same time..