Disable/Enable Video Card??

Vaulter

Nov 17, 2009
Is it possible to switch between integrated and non-integrated graphics on a desktop? It seems like I've seen this technology on laptops as a power saving device, and it seems like it would be useful for an almost always on system for keeping the heat down. My current gaming computer is a little heat generator and it makes it almost uncomfortable to sleep when its on in my rather small room. Ive gotten almost everything in it I can in the lowest wattage possible and most efficient, but I cant figure out a way to keep the gaming ability alive without just building a seconds computer for watching movies and shows like I do at night to fall asleep.

I think this was somewhat garbled, but I got my point across. Thanks for any help you can give!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
On the desktop right now the only way to do this is with Lucid's Virtu technology. It only works with Sandy Bridge processors though, and there aren't any significant power savings because the GPU is going to spend most of the time idling either way.

Vaulter

Nov 17, 2009
Thanks Virge!
Does anybody know anything about what produces the most heat in a computer and ways to reduce that? I live in Arizona so thats really the biggest problem with my computer right now. Is there anything I can do to help it so I can leave it on all the time, or am I better off building a second computer as an always on media server and leave my gaming computer for gaming?