Disability claims outpacing jobs

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
There was another article I saw about this last week, but this one includes a chart.

http://news.investors.com/article/6...ility-climbs-faster-than-jobs-under-obama.htm

The economy created just 80,000 jobs in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday. But that same month, 85,000 workers left the workforce entirely to enroll in the Social Security Disability Insurance program, according to the Social Security Administration.

I am at a lose for words.

We have more people signing up on the public coffers then going to work. Sooner or later something will have to give.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
The recovery has been so anemic that older Americans are using SSDI as a way to "retire" before they can officially get Social Security. This is one reason why Social Security will have to change either with much larger taxes or much lower benefits. If it does not change we will reach a condition like Greece.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Calm down, we'll just print more money and everything will be fine.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am at a lose for words.

We have more people signing up on the public coffers then going to work. Sooner or later something will have to give.

Is the US government spending money for people on disability?

Yes.

This is stimulus money! These folks are saving the economy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Huh? The U.S. workforce is getting much, much younger as Baby Boomers retire. News at 11.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Huh? The U.S. workforce is getting much, much younger as Baby Boomers retire. News at 11.

Did you read the article?

This is not about people retiring, its about people unable to find a job, so they turn to disability as a last ditch effort.

Nov 29, 2006
How are that many people able to show a disabilty in order to qualify? Are the puposefully hurting themselves to get enrolled or something?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
your obama has created a work optional economy. Loose your job?? who cares. You got the obama dole funded by taxpayers or toilet paper money. Change you can wipe your arse with.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
How are that many people able to show a disabilty in order to qualify? Are the puposefully hurting themselves to get enrolled or something?

When I was working in the welding field, back injuries and carpal tunnel was common. People worked until they could not work anymore, and then they filed for SS disability.

I wonder how many people in their late 50s and early 60s dealt with some kind of injury every day, but still got up and went to work because of their work ethic?

The ones nearing retirement age also served in vietnam. How many have war injuries that they dealt with?

One of the big differences I see between someone in their late 50s, and someone in the early 20s, is their work ethic. I know a young lady that is around 19 or 20 years old, and drawing SS disability. Her disability, she claims to be bi-polar.

If your World War II vets, Korea vets and Vietnam vets can deal with shell shock and PTSD, and contribute to society, then so can a 19 year old lady.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
One of the big differences I see between someone in their late 50s, and someone in the early 20s, is their work ethic. I know a young lady that is around 19 or 20 years old, and drawing SS disability. Her disability, she claims to be bi-polar.

You think that is bad. There was an article in the NYTs about eating disorders. And one of the women in the story was on SS disability for anorexia and was going to Grad School. If you can go to grad school then you are not disabled enough for SS disability :rolleyes:

EDIT: There was also a person who posted on the weare99 blog site about how their social anxiety kept them from getting a job. But they were turned down for SSI and so would not be able to afford college. Funny how their social anxiety was not going to interfere with that.

Last edited:

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
There is also THOUSANDS of people with REAL disabilities waiting in line/stuck in LONG process.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Sssshhh...these numerous examples that pretty much Everyone have are just anecdotal. The system is not massively abused, there are pretty charts and sh1t to tell you otherwise, don't question, just obey...

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Sssshhh...these numerous examples that pretty much Everyone have are just anecdotal. The system is not massively abused, there are pretty charts and sh1t to tell you otherwise, don't question, just obey...

Actually the original post makes it pretty clear it is abused. It is suppose to be for people who CAN'T work, not just those who are unable to find it.

What about those who are unable to find work and either do not have a "disability" to claim, or whose conscience does not allow them to lie?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
There is also THOUSANDS of people with REAL disabilities waiting in line/stuck in LONG process.

Yip, friend of mine has one leg, and a severe deforming arthritis and he can barely keep on it, but perfectly able bodied people crying about their "whaaa people freak me out" bullshit are cashing checks every month, it's disgusting.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Exactly. However, I wouldn't judge a "disability" without walking a mile in someone's shoes or at the very least seeing their medical records. People tend to downplay things like bipolar disorder, panic attacks, or even more common mental conditions, which can be very debilitating and make a person unable to function in the workforce. The verification/review system needs to be revamped.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
There's a quite a bit of anti-Obama slant in that article; I'm pretty sure that the rates of new disability claims have always been counter cyclical, regardless whether an elephant or donkey is in the white house.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Did you read the article?

This is not about people retiring, its about people unable to find a job, so they turn to disability as a last ditch effort.

Did YOU read the article? Straight from it:

In other words, the number of new disability enrollees has climbed 19% faster than the number of jobs created during the sluggish recovery. (Even after accounting for people who left the disability program because they died or aged into retirement, disability ranks have climbed more than 1.1 million in the past three years.)

So disability filings when you exclude retiring baby boomers is in fact less than a third of the total net gain in employment since the article's start date of June 2009.

Comparing nominal figures to seasonally-adjusted figures is the province of morons or propagandists.

Oh and this.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Plus, SS disability rules changed long before Obama was in office and has been used as more of a stopgate welfare program than a pure disability insurance program. So the change in numbers is not at all surprising.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So disability filings when you exclude retiring baby boomers is in fact less than a third of the total net gain in employment since the article's start date of June 2009.

Less then 1/3? Where did you get that from?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly. However, I wouldn't judge a "disability" without walking a mile in someone's shoes or at the very least seeing their medical records. People tend to downplay things like bipolar disorder, panic attacks, or even more common mental conditions, which can be very debilitating and make a person unable to function in the workforce. The verification/review system needs to be revamped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/b...eating-disorder-sufferers.html?pagewanted=all
Ms. Harlick, who lost her job and insurance and is now on disability while studying social work in graduate school, said she hoped the court decision would show people that eating disorders were not just matters of weight and appearance, but serious diseases.

But somehow leave them able to attend grad school for social work :hmm:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Less then 1/3? Where did you get that from?

Net private job creation since June 2009 has totaled over 3.4M, only 2.6M if you include gov't job losses which no one does. 1.1M have been added to the disability roles, so that's 32%. Less than a third. Get it?