Discussion Dis SHEE-** is Crazy! And when they "notify" me in a couple weeks, will it REALLY be REAL?!!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I definitely plan to drop some change on last year's(?) RTX 2070. It MUST be a MINI OC card. I very much liked the Gigabyte GTX-1070 Mini OC, but the asking price even on the four-year-old card is currently >= $1,000+. Totally insane! I couldn't have spent more than $500+ on it four years ago!

So . . . Look-ee here!

Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini 8GB ----- $2,299.99 at Newegg

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 MINI OC Edition ----- $419.99 -- "will notify -- available in 2 -- 4 weeks"

This is in-sane!! And now that I've tipped off others in the forum, I better watch my e-mail like a hawk so I can pull the string im-MED-iately!!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
E-mail "notify me" is not going to work. Too slow. You're fighting against bot-armies driven by scalpers, running in the same data-centers as the biggest seller's sites are. You're deluding yourself if you think that will work.

Edit: Oh, and chances are, that $400-ish card, hasn't been in-stock since Dec., thus never had it's price nor listing updated.

Your choices are basically:
1) Get a bot
2) Pay a scalper
3) Wait

Edit: Not trying to hate on you Bonzai, just pointing out the harsh reality of the situation, that you don't seem to fully comprehend, yet.

I forgot one other option:

4) Camp outside a Microcenter (literally!) overnight, hoping to get in on whatever GPU supply that they might have that day.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Make sure that you give this thread a good read, too, considering that you're on Skylake / Kaby Lake. You may be better-off with a Radeon than a higher-end NV card.

Reactions: Leeea

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

Make sure that you give this thread a good read, too, considering that you're on Skylake / Kaby Lake. You may be better-off with a Radeon than a higher-end NV card.
I usually don't bother clicking the "notify me" links. Just this time. I'll take your advice and look into it.

Maybe I should become a Radeon "nVidia defector". Or maybe just use the Intel iGPU for as long as I want, I suppose.

I'm still puzzled by this supply problem, though, and haven't taken the time to read up more about it. Puzzled, I say . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

Everything shows prices going up like a North Korean missile test. An $80 Radeon card in 2017 is now close to $200.

I openly confess my ongoing ignorance. Pretending otherwise is a level of stupidity. One may become knowledgeable about certain components, then become entrenched with certain makes and models as a matter of habit. I've been using nVidia cards for maybe 15 years. Interesting, about the nVidia driver overhead.

This is for the casual spare-parts project I've mentioned. I"m going to play around with the INtel iGPU before I let go more ducats. Graphics cards were always an expensive component. But, whatever the price, you can't hardly find any now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, there ARE still "opportunities", if you're really quick. Newegg is still getting occasional stock of GTX 1650 and GTX 1660-family cards in, at only 50% scalped price (so 1.5X-2X MSRP), direct from Newegg, as opposed to the more usual 3X-4X ebay mark-up.

I find that they update their listings at midnight Pacific time, which is 3AM EST here.

Especially, check out (immediately!), their "Shell Shockers" for the day, to see if they have any GPUs, and then their "e-mail deals" flyer, that may also have a GPU or two (and often, a promo code!).

Sometimes, stock just randomly drops, too, but that's been rare for me.

I forgot to mention it, but there's also a sort of raffle-system to be eligible to buy a card of your choosing, called "Newegg Shuffle".

John1780

Feb 28, 2021
Just to give you an idea of what you're up against, it took me nearly a month of wearing out my F5 key at 6:30 every single night at checkout before I scored my 6900xt in Jan. And I was all-in watching multiple Discord channels and had 3-4x tabs open trying to buy within -seconds- of the drop.

To stand a chance, you'll need to subscribe to the Discord channels and be ready to jump on drops like a hawk...or camp out at a storefront. I hear now it's even worse. Good luck.

Last edited: