Dirty Rally 2.0

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Thought this was gonna be a speculation thread. Shocked to find out an actual Dirt Rally 2.0 is coming out! I never did finish the first one after getting near the end I had to do Flying Finland and then I had snowy Sweden, I think, got super frustrated and gave up. Playing on a controller probably didn't help either, but it's all I have.

I really hope they cut back on some of the flying Finland stuff and fix the rally cross. Looks really good from the video I just looked at and if the gameplay is also improved, I'm getting this day one.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Have > 380 hrs in the original ( and still playing it weekly ), I am pumped for this one.

The top comment on the youtube video? "Please don't screw this up."

Reactions: gradoman

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I am rally looking forward to it. I bought the first one during EA and it was the best rally game in a long long time. I hope they keep the spirit of the original and improve on course/road varieties.

Reactions: CuriousMike

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
First I am hearing of it too... would've been fine with added content to 1.0 but sure, take another $60 CM. People who own Rally and 4 should get some kind of loyalty discount. :D

At least the wait isn't bad...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
+1... didn't do deluxe though, since I'm not gonna be around this weekend anyway.

so ready for this though.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Was only able to play for about 45 or so min last night but I will certainly be spending much time with this game over the coming weeks. The graphics and audio got a nice update and the handling model from the first Dirt Rally game seem to be in tact. The only environment I raced in so far was Poland but it looked phenomenal and the stages were tight, fast, and challenging. Just what I wanted.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
The graphics and audio got a nice update and the handling model from the first Dirt Rally game seem to be in tact.

Agreed - this is really a Dirt Rally successor.

They've pushed the graphics - my RX580 used to be able to do 1440p @ very high detail and keep 60fps. I'm at 1080p high to keep 60 - 1080p at very high and I'm dipping into the low 50's.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I had to drop the AA and reduce some of the post processing on Vega 64 but it's running really well. The lighting has been significantly improved and the way the spot lights react to some of the wet surfaces looks outstanding. I've got some kind of odd SSAO masking affect on roadside objects going on but I also haven't updated my graphics drivers yet and it's not really that noticeable.

That Porsche that came with the pre-order is quite the machine to try and drive; I was having a real hard time keeping it straight. Top tip: unlock the tuning as early as you can.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Agreed - this is really a Dirt Rally successor.

They've pushed the graphics - my RX580 used to be able to do 1440p @ very high detail and keep 60fps. I'm at 1080p high to keep 60 - 1080p at very high and I'm dipping into the low 50's.

This is why I am holding off on the game. Will wait till I upgrade my GPU. Really enjoyed Dirt Rally, am sure I will like this one as well.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Should have taken a video but I ran into a rather hilarious (albeit game-breaking) bug... actually it ruined an otherwise great 6-stage rally in the awesome Venezuelan desert.

Was driving the old Evo and for whatever reason one tire was not on the front wheel at the start of the stage. Turns out, the tire was glitched well above the wheel axis (floating above the hood) but the car handled normally. Problem was, each time the tire rotated and made contact with the ground it made a TON of debris and I could barely see lol. This location has a lot of tight and narrow hairpin turns so it was basically impossible to continue and I had no restarts left.

If it wasn't so funny I would've been peeved cuz I did so well but had to abandon the entire rally, in which I was dominating up until that point.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I read a review a week ago(ish) that mentioned how the AI felt much easier then the original. At least the first couple of stages, I didn't find that to be true. As I've gotten further along... it might be more true. I might win a stage by 0.2 seconds or 17 seconds.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I read a review a week ago(ish) that mentioned how the AI felt much easier then the original. At least the first couple of stages, I didn't find that to be true. As I've gotten further along... it might be more true. I might win a stage by 0.2 seconds or 17 seconds.

I thought that I read that the AI was now adjustable?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I thought that I read that the AI was now adjustable?

AFAIK the AI can only be set in Freeplay

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Now that I've had a little more time with the game I can confidently say that it's one of their best games to date. It's about as challenging as the first iteration but with this one you really need to manage your setups a little more closely. Cars you own will need to be repaired after each time they are driven, even after a shakedown in career mode, and you are constantly paying for your mistakes--which adds some realism and forces you to focus harder on your drives. I like that. Tires also need to be swapped out after every few stages which I don't think was present in the previous games, though I could be mistaken.

The environments are all very nice too and they will probably add a snowy location in the future, like they did in the first Rally game. Argentina seems to be the most technical but it's super fun and the New England and New Zealand settings are gorgeous. It's certainly the more mature and less accessible version of the Dirt Games and for those who want the challenge of simulation over arcade.

Amazing so far; I'll be playing the hell out of it for sure.