lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Just picked this up for $7.99 and Unreal anthology for $4.99 both new at EBGAMES while I was christmas shopping.

All I can say is wow! Dirt is amazing. I heard mixed things about it when it came out, so I never even thought about getting it. At $7.99, I was like oh what the heck. Boy am I glad I got it.

Is GRID just like it but street racing? If it is I'll have to jump on that when I get finished with DiRT and when it drops in price. You can save a ton of money on games if you wait long enough after all the buzz has passed. Plus, there is usually much more powerful hardware out to push the visuals to the max. Running it @ 1920x1200 everything maxed 4xAA with narry a slow down.

I find myself grooving to the music too. I kinda like the techno beat it's got. If somebody walked in on me bopping my head, with the headphones on while playing a video game I'd never hear the end of it.

If you are looking for a great racing game on the cheap and have a high end rig, go pick yourself up a copy of DiRT.

I found no issues or bugs so far, seems as all the early problems were fixed in a few patches.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
Its pretty close to being the same. The multiplayer in GRID is by far better then dirt.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Canai
Dirt is fun, just wish they had some snow tracks.

That and some weather as well. You have wet surfaces in Japan and Germany, but it never rains. Hated that....

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Agree with OP re DiRT - great game. And unlike EA's Need for Speed series, there's difficulty adjustment in DiRT for those of us who don't want to run every race 20 times just to advance in the game.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Agree with OP re DiRT - great game. And unlike EA's Need for Speed series, there's difficulty adjustment in DiRT for those of us who don't want to run every race 20 times just to advance in the game.

I'm not finding it too hard although the hardest setting I've played on is Pro Am. There are tricky sections but nothing I can't get through after a couple practice runs

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: lavaheadache

I'm not finding it too hard although the hardest setting I've played on is Pro Am. There are tricky sections but nothing I can't get through after a couple practice runs

I like to start out at the easiest level (rookie?) and go right to the race, skipping practice and vehicle set-up. Winning at rookie is easy and serves as my practice for running the same course at the harder levels. It also lets me learn the course, and then make some adjustments to vehicle set-up. Plus, the $$ for winning the rookie round is nice for padding one's account! :D It's like getting paid for practice time!

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Dirt really is an amazingly fun game. Especially if you have a decent wheel. I like to just put on some music and drive for hours.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005

I like to start out at the easiest level (rookie?) and go right to the race, skipping practice and vehicle set-up. Winning at rookie is easy and serves as my practice for running the same course at the harder levels. It also lets me learn the course, and then make some adjustments to vehicle set-up. Plus, the $$ for winning the rookie round is nice for padding one's account! :D It's like getting paid for practice time!

that is excellent idea. Who doesn't like to get paid to practice

Apr 20, 2008
I do not currently have a wheel, but even with a logitech dual-action gamepad this was one of the best games i've bought for $9.99. My current computer just blows it away, but it was playable with my old athlon s939 4200+ and my 8800gts 320. The athlon was a bit weak at 2.2ghz so during multi-car races it would be nearly too choppy to play. The DRM was shifty until i patched the game. Now it just flies!

GJ to Codemasters for making this great game.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
I do not currently have a wheel, but even with a logitech dual-action gamepad this was one of the best games i've bought for $9.99. My current computer just blows it away, but it was playable with my old athlon s939 4200+ and my 8800gts 320. The athlon was a bit weak at 2.2ghz so during multi-car races it would be nearly too choppy to play. The DRM was shifty until i patched the game. Now it just flies!

GJ to Codemasters for making this great game.

You guys are probably gonna think I'm crazy but I actually prefer to play using wasd. I find it very easy to make quick adjustments to my steering

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
You guys are probably gonna think I'm crazy but I actually prefer to play using wasd. I find it very easy to make quick adjustments to my steering
I use the D-Pad on my gamepad instead of the analog sticks for the same reason.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I think the wheels are way too inacurrate. I would prefer it if there was much more turning radius... a couple turns versus inverted either way.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I think the wheels are way too inacurrate. I would prefer it if there was much more turning radius... a couple turns versus inverted either way.

Actually, 'race' cars usually have a much smaller wheel turning radius than normal cars, and inverted either way is pretty much what rally cars are set up for (it varies a bit with make and driver's personal preferences I think).

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
Originally posted by: TestedAcorn
I like grid more than dirt, the cars are a little more controllable.

i also wish some of the cars in dirt were more controllable. GRID is probably the most amazing racing game i have ever had. vy far beats all the Need For SPeed games i have played, and ive played all of them.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
You guys complaining about control do realize its a RALLY game?

DiRT is very CPU dependant and is a great game :D

I beat the career mode on Normal and my game corrupted before I could go back to do the Rally Championship (I have to find those save files to reinstall)

Difficulty ramps up later on in the game where any mistake will be extremely costly