Dirt Rally

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Technically an early access title right now, but I've really been having fun with it. It's very polished, runs like glass, and pretty much resembles a release-quality product despite the early access designation.

The game is really a departure from Dirt 3. It seems to be focused purely on creating a more realistic rally experience. There is no rewinding or beginner driver aids. It really keeps you on edge and punishes you for mistakes.

I'm only into it about 5 hours, but it's taken about that long to get a good grip on the handling mechanics (which, IMO, are excellent). It's extremely rewarding to pull off a section well...but just when you think you've got it down, one little slip-up sends you off into the trees. ;) Precise throttle control and counter-steering is critical...this is not a mash it and fly game like Dirt 3.

If you're a fan of this type of game, I highly recommend it - even in its pre-release state. Between this game and Project CARS, I'm a very happy racing game fan.

Last edited:

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
I am not a gamer but years ago I rode my Husqvarna in numerous off-road rallies and in most of them timekeeping was the most important skill as arriving early was worse than arriving late except in time trails. A few like the International Six Days Trails (ISDT) (now ISDE with more modern term Enduro replacing Trails) are for the most part timed section races. There several of us old desert racers who would be interested in such a game if half the fun of the real thing (when our old bodies could do such things). I'm assuming this is for four wheeled vehicles but if the game is similar to racing Baja or Vegas to Reno (where you have both Trucks, Buggies and motorcycles) I'd be interested in learning more. I'm mean making a mistake doesn't mean breaking a collarbone 200 miles from a hospital.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I picked up Dirt Rally for around $13 bucks and like you say it is a pretty polished game to still be in pre-release state. I like it but I do miss racing against other cars.

2 of my favorite racing gamers are still the original G.R.I.D and Autosport.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
One thing I really like is the UI (doesn't get mentioned a lot). It's very simple and direct - just a set of tiles that gives you everything you need without clicking through a bunch of crap and scrolling through screens.

I hope to see a few more cars by release, but I'm happy to see the range they've provided...especially the AWD Group B cars.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
It's a fun rally game, I've been playing it a lot. Looking forward to future developments, especially multi vehicle racing and online multiplayer.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It's a fun rally game, I've been playing it a lot. Looking forward to future developments, especially multi vehicle racing and online multiplayer.

Is multi-vehicle racing planned? That would be awesome! That's one race-type I really miss from Dirt 3 in this game.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Is multi-vehicle racing planned? That would be awesome! That's one race-type I really miss from Dirt 3 in this game.
I saw somewhere that Rallycross was in the future. Might have been a rumor, there's plenty of those.