DirectX Error (after swapping to a 7970)

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I changed from an NVIDIA 560Ti to a Sapphire 7970, and upon launching BF3 I get this:

Failed to initialize display adapter
Please ensure your video card is compatible and the drivers for it installed.
Usually this is a result of missing vendor specific drivers.
I downloaded these for my Vista 64 http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/radeon-7900-series.aspx

I also bought DriverCleaner and cleaned out all the Nvidia stuff but the problem remains.

MSI Afterburner also says "Failed to initialize display driver wrapper".

Help?

EDIT: Just discovered, in Display Settings it says "Default monitor on _____" (blank), so the driver's not getting installed correctly!?

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
try re-installing BF3

If it still thinks your useing the 560ti, that could be why your getting a message like that.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
try re-installing BF3

If it still thinks your useing the 560ti, that could be why your getting a message like that.

I just edited my OP - I don't think my ATI drivers are installing correctly. My adapter properties don't show any information relating to the 7970...

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Suklee

Yeah looks like you did something wrong somewhere.

Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):
·
Hardware
AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
·Operating Systems
Windows® 7 64-bit Edition

I think that driver is windows 7 - 64-bit only.. and perphaps not ment for windows vista 64bit.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Suklee

Stick with the drivers on the CD, until drivers for vista are out.

I think you should get rid of those drivers your useing that dont work,
and try the ones that came with the card on the CD.

Check the new 7970 driver just released (or at least, its release notes have been posted)...maybe it adds Vista support.

12.1a preview doesnt work:
Hardware:
AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series

Operating Systems:
Windows® 7 32-bit Edition
Windows® 7 64-bit Edition
Windows® XP 32-bit Edition
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
Windows Vista 64-bit edition

only for 6xxx and 5xxx cards.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You're 100% correct Arkadrel. Rookie mistake! :oops:

Thanks, off to test BF3 now!

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I changed from an NVIDIA 560Ti to a Sapphire 7970, and upon launching BF3 I get this:

I downloaded these for my Vista 64 http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/radeon-7900-series.aspx

I also bought DriverCleaner and cleaned out all the Nvidia stuff but the problem remains.

MSI Afterburner also says "Failed to initialize display driver wrapper".

Help?

EDIT: Just discovered, in Display Settings it says "Default monitor on _____" (blank), so the driver's not getting installed correctly!?

uninstall msi afterburner, uninstall all 3rd party overclocking programs, uninstall ALL legacy drivers through the control panel applet. Then run driver sweeper.

Did you uninstall the NV drivers through control panel before installing the AMD card?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You're 100% correct Arkadrel. Rookie mistake! :oops:

Thanks, off to test BF3 now!

Kinda sucks it's the only way to use the 7970 with Vista currently. I'm sure AMD will update the Vista drivers at some time. Guess maybe with the recent layoffs at AMD they gotta focus on the latest and greatest OS first.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Kinda sucks it's the only way to use the 7970 with Vista currently. I'm sure AMD will update the Vista drivers at some time. Guess maybe with the recent layoffs at AMD they gotta focus on the latest and greatest OS first.

Yeah, cost me an extra $10 too cuz I got DriverCleaner thinking it was some orphan Nvidia stuff that was causing problems.

Looking back on the AMD page, it clearly says "AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows® vista & Windows® 7" :eek:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@ suklee

Thats only for the "Instructions:" on how-to install *said* drivers.

The important part is the "Operating Systems" its supports.

But yeah... if it doesnt work under vista, that shouldnt be anywhere on that page, not even under instructions.
And yes it sucks they ve done some windows 7 drivers first, instead of doing all OS's at same time.

whats weird is that the link, under the instructions with the mixed up names, actually links to the driver.

The guy that made that page should get a kick in the nuts sack.

Last edited:

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The guy that made that page should get a kick in the nuts sack.

Agreed D:

And, are the drivers on my CD specially developed by Sapphire or something? I don't understand why the Vista drivers are on the CD but not on AMD's website :thumbsdown: