DirectX 12 Advancements @GDC 2016

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Interesting but unless you are a developer it gets deep pretty quickly. Would love to find a good summation for a layman

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
This is the most important part. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Level_Shading_Language

HLSL will be Open Source. What that means is that Apple Metal will use Shader Model 6.0 with backwards compatibility without any problem. It will also use LLVM.

It will make porting games from one platform to another true peace of cake. And most probably - it will happen without any reduction in performance, between them...

Whole industry is undergoing huge shift.

Feb 19, 2009
The biggest thing from that presentation: making HDR transition easy for developers, with full support in DX12 and Win 10.

Hopefully it's a major change with lots of games supporting it, to give us gamers a reason to get a HDR monitor!

Samwell

May 10, 2015
The biggest thing from that presentation: making HDR transition easy for developers, with full support in DX12 and Win 10.

Hopefully it's a major change with lots of games supporting it, to give us gamers a reason to get a HDR monitor!

Shader Model 6 is also a big thing, maybe even the most important for future graphics. But the question is which hardware really supports SM6. They write DX12.1 is targeted, but i wouldn't be surprised if currently no GPU is able to fully supprt SM6.
Overall it's good, that MS is pushing DX12 further and isn't stopping like it was with DX11 at some point.

Last edited:

Mercennarius

Oct 28, 2015
Shader Model 6 is also a big thing, maybe even the most important for future graphics. But the question is which hardware really supports SM6. They write DX12.1 is targeted, but i wouldn't be surprised if currently no GPU is able to fully supprt SM6.
Overall it's good, that MS is pushing DX12 further and isn't stopping like it was with DX11 at some point.

Microsoft is using DX12 to attract more users to Windows 10.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Microsoft is using DX12 to attract more users to Windows 10.

TBH, there is no reason to not use Windows 10.

Its faster, more lightweight, and more secure. Plus having touch / pen as first class citizens for input means tablet/hybrid laptops are amazing. I've been using 8, then 8.1 and now 10 on my desktop since each released, and each is better than the previous. I wish we used 10 at work so we could write UWP apps instead of internal web ones :p

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
TBH, there is no reason to not use Windows 10.

Its faster, more lightweight, and more secure. Plus having touch / pen as first class citizens for input means tablet/hybrid laptops are amazing. I've been using 8, then 8.1 and now 10 on my desktop since each released, and each is better than the previous. I wish we used 10 at work so we could write UWP apps instead of internal web ones :p

Totally agree.

People like to complain. They complain when MS releases a new Windows and charges for it, and then also when they release it (essentially) free for most existing users. :p

Pushing Win10 is good for us because it will help DX12 adoption that much more quickly.

BlitzWulf

Mar 3, 2016
Has anyone seen this from yesterday it's pretty interesting,Presentation on DX12 mini engine features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTIsgiw7W0

It seems Microsoft is really doubling down and giving devs strong examples to work with when creating or working with DX12 engines so that they can properly use all the features this new API has to offer.

Without sounding too biased they seem to be pushing for a ton of features that will suit the hardware of a certain IHV more than it's current competitors :sneaky:

definitely a good watch