DirecTV Vs. Dish Network- Directv's receivers SUCK

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I just switched from Dish to Direct, and wow was I mislead.

With Dish, you have a two tuner DVR, and it lets you hook up to two TV's, and you can watch recordings on either TV.

With Directv, you have a two tuner DVR, but it can only hook up to ONE TV (despite having two tuners), and you need to hook up an extra box in each room where you want service, and they charge you $5/pop. Then on top of that it's an extra $25 each for RF remotes- which Dish included for free.

I really got mislead on the sales line, and now I feel like I got screwed :(

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I just went the other direction, leaving DirecTV for Dish.

I find the interface on Dish's receiver to be horribly unintuitive compared to DirecTV's, and I've been having sync/signal issues on the Dish receiver. On the up side, the skip forward/back buttons are, like, instant on Dish's receiver. The included Powerline adapters for internet connectivity's pretty great too.

Also great? I'm paying less than half of what I was for DirecTV, and only really miss one channel (Boomerang) that isn't in my package.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
With Dish you can get a two-tuner DVR and connect it to two TVs, one HD and one SD. You can't watch 2 HD programs at once.

DirecTV has a new deal where with the HD DVR you can add a non-DVR HD box to a second TV and send HD content to both TVs.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
My DirecTV receiver seems to work just fine for me. And I can set my DVR with my phone.

I can record 2 HD feeds at once on the DTV unit, while watching something that's been recorded. Can you do 2 HD feeds at once on the Dish unit?

And the sports channels are SEVERELY lacking. With my basic HD package on DTV I get the MLB Network, NFL Network, 5 ESPN channels, WGN, Tennis channel, Golf channel (though I don't watch it), and several others. I also get the Discovery channel, and you don't on the basic Dish package. I also get TNT, USA, FX and I'm sure more.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
With Dish you can get a two-tuner DVR and connect it to two TVs, one HD and one SD. You can't watch 2 HD programs at once.

DirecTV has a new deal where with the HD DVR you can add a non-DVR HD box to a second TV and send HD content to both TVs.

If you want whole home DVR, you have to get a receiver in every room. The sales guy just told me all the wrong info for what I needed.

I left Dish to save some money with a Directv special (1/2 off for first year). It's turning out I'm only saving about $30/month :|

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
WTF- Now they're telling my it costs $25 to turn on the Internet access to the receiver, and it's another $50 for a "gadget" to integrate OTA stations with the guide.

Wow did I make a mistake :|

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
wow, dish doesn't fuck your anus with regard to boxes per room? hell even the cable companies screw you over on that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yes, they do.
And if they have issues, Direct TV will tell you its working fine and you need upgraded hardware.
Fuck sticks.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
WTF- Now they're telling my it costs $25 to turn on the Internet access to the receiver, and it's another $50 for a "gadget" to integrate OTA stations with the guide.

wtf?

i just plugged my directv to the home network last week and worked instantly no added fees. and OTA stations come with my package and show up on my guide.

all i have is the choice package with 4 receivers in the house.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
wtf?

i just plugged my directv to the home network last week and worked instantly no added fees. and OTA stations come with my package and show up on my guide.

all i have is the choice package with 4 receivers in the house.

It's a new receiver they have out that lets you watch your DVR in any room. It replaced their old HD DVR and I don't think they thought it through all the way before they released it. The Internet access for it has to go through DTV's system, so it requires a special box.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008

Uhm, no. DirecTV's receivers don't even need internet access for anything. And mine just has a plug for the cable, no costs needed, and all of my local channels are in the guide. I don't know why you would want to see duplicate OTA channels.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Uhm, no. DirecTV's receivers don't even need internet access for anything. And mine just has a plug for the cable, no costs needed, and all of my local channels are in the guide. I don't know why you would want to see duplicate OTA channels.

1. Umm...yes...it does require activation and a special device (they called a DECA adapter) for the Whole Home DVR receiver. This is the only receiver you need to do this for.

2. DTV only shows .1 OTA channels. It does not show .2, .3, etc OTA channels. You need an OTA receiver to see these. With Dish, this was built in. That's pretty poor.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
1. Umm...yes...it does require activation and a special device (they called a DECA adapter) for the Whole Home DVR receiver. This is the only receiver you need to do this for.

2. DTV only shows .1 OTA channels. It does not show .2, .3, etc OTA channels. You need an OTA receiver to see these. With Dish, this was built in. That's pretty poor.

My DTV receiver shows all of my local OTA channels. Except there is one local access station for the town which is not on there - but that channel is just a bunch of shitty fucking crap anyway so there's no reason for it to be included.

Anyway my DTV receiver also does not require any DECA adapter shit. It sounds like you just got the wrong receiver and didn't bother researching anything before you switched.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My DTV receiver shows all of my local OTA channels. Except there is one local access station for the town which is not on there - but that channel is just a bunch of shitty fucking crap anyway so there's no reason for it to be included.

Anyway my DTV receiver also does not require any DECA adapter shit. It sounds like you just got the wrong receiver and didn't bother researching anything before you switched.

That's why I'm posting---I was given the "equivelent" equipment...according to their sales reps...of what I had with Dish, and it is so not the case.

Well...it is...but there's all this add on crap that just came bundled with Dish's 722R receiver.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
That's why I'm posting---I was given the "equivelent" equipment...according to their sales reps...of what I had with Dish, and it is so not the case.

Well...it is...but there's all this add on crap that just came bundled with Dish's 722R receiver.

So your whole post was basically complaining that you're too fucking lazy to bother to look anything up and actually find things out yourself, and instead of doing that you take the word of some dumbshit sales guy and now you have this shit that you don't want and it's somehow DirecTV's fault? Nice.

You sound like a pushover. Get them on the phone and tell them what they are going to do and how much you will be paying for it or else they can kiss your ass and you will go with another company. Should work since if they tell you to fuck off, you seem to think Dish was better anyway so no problem right?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
So your whole post was basically complaining that you're too fucking lazy to bother to look anything up and actually find things out yourself, and instead of doing that you take the word of some dumbshit sales guy and now you have this shit that you don't want and it's somehow DirecTV's fault? Nice.

You sound like a pushover. Get them on the phone and tell them what they are going to do and how much you will be paying for it or else they can kiss your ass and you will go with another company. Should work since if they tell you to fuck off, you seem to think Dish was better anyway so no problem right?

*sigh* you're one of those "I'm smarter 'n this one, watch me bash 'im!" posters, aren't you.

Try to understand this...I'll type slow and break it down into steps:

1- wanted to save money, went to Directv to take advantage of their 1/2 off 1 year special.

OK? With me so far? Great.

2- Called their customer service, told them what I needed, they told me the equipment they had that would do what Dish's 722 receiver would do.

3- Looked online, they listed two receivers with dual tuners. I needed 4 TV's set up, and according to the rep, this would do the trick.

4- With Dish, a two tuner unit will service two TV's. With DTV's new whole home DVR unit (JUST RELEASED), it does not---it only records two shows at once. Their rep did not know this, I did not know this, and apperenetly a lot of other people didn't either.

Still with me? I know this is a lot of reading for you...

5- After that mess was settled, now it turns out for this unit they have to send a special box to you to allow Internet access to the receiver. This was not listed on the order nor on their website, but has since been added. I just got off the phone with CS, and they're sending me this box for free due to the mixup.

6- There's a lot of hoops to jump through for their "flagship" DVR, and Dish has everything built in. Poor.

That's it. This isn't a case of "I pressed the buy button and didn't read anything", this is a case of poor equipment designed to nickel and dime fees out of you.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Have you ever known a sales rep that knows what they're talking about? Most of them just tell you what you want to hear, from my experience.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I completely hear where you are coming from Fritzo. I called up to see if I could get the whole house dvr and the rep on the phone couldn't even tell me what the installation charge was for. Seems that they were not trained very well on the new product. In the end, I decided it wasn't a big deal and just kept what I have.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
*sigh* you're one of those "I'm smarter 'n this one, watch me bash 'im!" posters, aren't you.

Try to understand this...I'll type slow and break it down into steps:

1- wanted to save money, went to Directv to take advantage of their 1/2 off 1 year special.

OK? With me so far? Great.

2- Called their customer service, told them what I needed, they told me the equipment they had that would do what Dish's 722 receiver would do.

3- Looked online, they listed two receivers with dual tuners. I needed 4 TV's set up, and according to the rep, this would do the trick.

4- With Dish, a two tuner unit will service two TV's. With DTV's new whole home DVR unit (JUST RELEASED), it does not---it only records two shows at once. Their rep did not know this, I did not know this, and apperenetly a lot of other people didn't either.

Still with me? I know this is a lot of reading for you...

5- After that mess was settled, now it turns out for this unit they have to send a special box to you to allow Internet access to the receiver. This was not listed on the order nor on their website, but has since been added. I just got off the phone with CS, and they're sending me this box for free due to the mixup.

6- There's a lot of hoops to jump through for their "flagship" DVR, and Dish has everything built in. Poor.

That's it. This isn't a case of "I pressed the buy button and didn't read anything", this is a case of poor equipment designed to nickel and dime fees out of you.

So pretty much exactly what I said. That's what I thought.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
What? The receiver has a network jack. All you do is plug a freaking Cat5/6 cable into it and then go through the menus? I use the DirecTV app on my droid to control my HD DVR recording. Doesn't require any additional equipment.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah I just looked at the HD DVR and their newest model, the HR24 does indeed have an ethernet plug right on the back. You wouldn't know this because you're apparently still too lazy to look.

I do see this AM21 thing that they say you need, so maybe you live in a strange market and your local channels are not exactly the same as what is normally on there, but they should still have the same shows, etc. save for maybe news shows.