DirecTV/Dish Network and buying your own equipment

antillean

Jun 13, 2007
I've seen receivers and dishes for these networks on Craigslist, but I don't know how much you save by not renting- of course DirecTV and Dish don't say on their websites, and they don't give you an option not to get the equipment.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

One thing to keep in mind with buying used receivers..
A. Make sure the receiver has a card from an account in good order. If you get one that has a bunch of PPVs charged, or from an account that has a balance on it, you will be responsible for the balance before you can use the receiver.
B. you will still have to pay $25 to get the "old" card exchanged for a new one.. you send them the old card + $25, they send you a new card.. not sure what the costs are if you don't have a card at all, but I heard they are $$$.

*this is DTV, not sure about the dish.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
Originally posted by: antillean
I've seen receivers and dishes for these networks on Craigslist, but I don't know how much you save by not renting- of course DirecTV and Dish don't say on their websites, and they don't give you an option not to get the equipment.

I believe there is a way to tell them you already own the equipment, I know there are places you can legally acquire DirecTV equipment, a good place to discuss this stuff would also be www.avsforum.com

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
You'll have to pay the $5 a month fee for the receiver whether you buy it yourself or lease it.

The main benefit to buying a DirecTV receiver right now would be to get one of the DirecTivo receivers. The TiVo receivers >>>>> than the DirecTV branded DVRs. Plus, they are easy to mod.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
With Dish Network there really isn't a benefit to purchasing a receiver versus leasing one other than not being locked into a commitment. This is especially true if you get into purchasing the HD DVR model receivers. The only case I could think it would be much of a benefit would be if you were purchasing a DVR that does not have the DVR fee attached to it. Those would be the 501, 508 and 721 model receivers. Those receivers are not charged a DVR fee like other DVRs are with Dish Network so you'd be saving $6.99 a month with those. Keep in mind however that those are older model receivers and while they are still being supported there are not a lot of new features being added that I've seen.