Question Directional wifi antenna for better wifi connectivity

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Hi to all.

I have a simple wifi question. I have an outdoor IP security camera and it is connected to one of my WiFi access points for ease of use and convenience. It is working well except that the wifi link is not optimum. It gets disconnected sometimes although this wasn't a problem before but it is now and I don't know why the link deteriorated. Anyways, I want to improve this link by using a directional wifi antenna. So, is it just a matter of getting a directional yagi like antenna with a good gain--instead of the regular omni-directional one -- and point it toward the access point and be done with it? Or is it more involved?

Something like this:

Will any yagi wifi antenna do?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Directional Antenna can extend distance when there is a total clear line of sight.

Otherwise it not a valued option.

Many people connects their out door WIFI to Wireless Routers (Access Point). that are inside the house.

As an example, put a very heavy curtain on the Window that the WIFI signal go through and most outside Devices will "go down".

So... it is mostly about devices' location and changes in the enviroment.

:cool:

Reactions: mxnerd

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Currently, it is not perfect line of sight. The wall edge is slightly obstructing the signal. But when I said I wanted to use the directional antenna I meant to install it so that it points directly to the access point. Only the window glass will be between the two antennas.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Under the described circumstances a Directional Antenna might help.

Here is an example of such Antennae...

Be aware that in High frequencies that WIFI is working with the best result achieved when the Antenna is connected directly to an AP, U sing long coax with an Antenna is not a good idea since 2.4/5 GHz decline fast according to the coax length.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Under the described circumstances a Directional Antenna might help.

Here is an example of such Antennae...

I actually want a 2.4GHz antenna
Be aware that in High frequencies that WIFI is working with the best result achieved when the Antenna is connected directly to an AP, U sing long coax with an Antenna is not a good idea since 2.4/5 GHz decline fast according to the coax length.

Are you refering to the yagi antenna I linked since it has a long cable?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the output of the Wifi source is the typical 33-50 mW the long cable might be a Negative factor.