Direct Tv VS Dish Network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
I just wish someone would offer a package that didn't have any news channels in it. There are about 20 channels that I ever watch on a regular basis but to get those 20, I have to get the 3rd or 4th highest package from any company because they aren't ever included together because they take them out to give me 10 different CNN, CNBC, etc channels that I will never watch.

As soon as some company comes out withan Ala Carte TV package, they will have subscribers through the roof. I don't know why it's so hard since it's the box that controls that part and they control the box from their system. Whether it's cable or satelite, either company could do it if they wanted to.

The problem with ala carte is that some channels absolutely make no money and are heavily subsidized by other stations. If people start paying for only a handful of stations *they* want, they aren't paying for stations that other people want. When you start monkeying with the formula, the networks simply can't justify the costs of keeping those other stations.

I know that most males could give two flying poops about the home shopping network and lifetime, but those are heavily watched by women. Without their audience(and monthly subscription) the network wouldn't be able to keep something that you like such as the Speed channel or the National Geographic channel.

You may ultimately end up paying *more* for less if you that route.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Used to have Dish. I liked the product just fine, but the customer service SUCKED. I mean, they were downright incompetent. They turned off our service because my roommate called and asked about premium packages. Why? Because they thought someone was trying to order service at our address. Why would that make them turn our service off? Because they're idiots. It took a couple hours on the phone to convince them of this.

You're supposed to have a phone line connection to update Dish, but we don't have a landline and so we just never updated it. I don't know what the updates involve or if this is the same with directTV.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Triumph
Used to have Dish. I liked the product just fine, but the customer service SUCKED. I mean, they were downright incompetent. They turned off our service because my roommate called and asked about premium packages. Why? Because they thought someone was trying to order service at our address. Why would that make them turn our service off? Because they're idiots. It took a couple hours on the phone to convince them of this.

You're supposed to have a phone line connection to update Dish, but we don't have a landline and so we just never updated it. I don't know what the updates involve or if this is the same with directTV.

Direct wants you to have a land line hooked up as well. I never did it... *shrug*

As for customer service, Direct isn't any better. I've never heard my wife curse so bad as she did when she was trying to clean up a billing problem with them. It took over 15 minutes of her fumbling through the phone menus to even get to a real person. And when she did, I think my dog had a higher cognitive functioning than the CSR.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Dish Network + NFL Network + DVR == Football watching bliss w/o paying extra for Sunday Ticket
Besides, I really only care about the Panthers and I get that locally. NFL Network is for everything else. Plus the DVR is just awesome.

Dead3ye

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2000
READ.

More info than you probably need, but you should be able to make a decision.

I have Dish with a Vip622 HDDVR and I won't be looking back. I love it. People had problems when it first came out, but I never had any.

Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
:music:NFL Sunday Ticket...:music:

:D

Does Dish have Speed Channel?

Yes it does.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005

I have Direct and I believe updates are sent through the signal over the air to your box. You don't have to have it plugged in for updates. You need to have it plugged in you want to use ppv because that's how they get the list of what you ordered to charge you for it and to clear the list so you can order more. There is a limit in both space and time for ppv so you'll need to have it plugged in eventually or you won't be able to order more. Its just too much of a pain for me so I don't bother.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dish. Hands down. More HD and enough sports to keep you satisfied.

I will not swich from Dish ever again.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Honestly, between Dish Network and DirecTV were minimal to me. All the same channels for the same price. The only difference is, that we got dish in 4 rooms, instead of 2 w/ DirecTV. Though, the RCA DirecTV equipment was better than the initial Philips Equipment we got, but Dish upgraded our equipment and it's definitley better in that aspect.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: TrandM

I have Direct and I believe updates are sent through the signal over the air to your box. You don't have to have it plugged in for updates. You need to have it plugged in you want to use ppv because that's how they get the list of what you ordered to charge you for it and to clear the list so you can order more. There is a limit in both space and time for ppv so you'll need to have it plugged in eventually or you won't be able to order more. Its just too much of a pain for me so I don't bother.

With Dish Network, you need to use the phone or they charge you $5 a month to update over the reciever.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
- DirecTV has built-in TiVo on their DVRs (I believe this is changing soon though). The Dish Network DVR I had sucked.
- Dish Network has receivers that can be shared between two rooms. The room with the receiver gets an IR remote, the other room gets an RF remote. (this saves you money because they charge you per receiver)

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I'm getting Dish installed on Thursday. It's kinda lame that you have to pay $5 for not having a landline since everything will operate just as well as it would with one.. but I guess it's better than paying $6.00 + fees + taxes for just a dial tone so the stupid box can call an 800 # everyday.

That said, it's still cheaper than cable. Plus I hate the local cable company (Charter.. now called Suddenlink or some BS like that).

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Originally posted by: TrandM

With Dish Network, you need to use the phone or they charge you $5 a month to update over the reciever.
My charge is 29.99 a month (basicist package) plus tax. I have no telephone line, just a cell phone. Even have a DVR. So no charge for updating without a phoneline, or for my DVR (older model, 501 IIRC, which there is no monthly fee for). Only thing you need a phone line for is PPV, like stated above. You can get PPV without a phoneline too, just have to call them an order the PPV.