Question DIMM upgrade with more capacity-which DIMM slots on my motherboard to pick?

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'm upgrading my computer.(just upgrading the RAM capacity for now.)

(currently have a Gigabyte GA-Z270-SLI-CF,Intel Core i7-7700 @stock clocks,Gigabyte GTX 1080,and 16 GB of Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200.)

I'm going to 32 GB of Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200-replacing my old pair of 8GB sticks .

The current RAM is in slots 2 and 4.Does it matter if I put the new 16GB sticks in the same slots as the old 8GB ones?

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks.Thought I'd ask.

Having a full-tower case(Cooler Master Storm Trooper) makes this a lot easier than if I had a tiny mid-tower case.

Looking forward to getting my new memory installed this afternoon.
(Hopefully,it'll arrive sooner rather than later.Glad I have an Amazon Locker close by.)

Will Windows 10 Pro 64-bit take up another 16 GB of pagefile on my boot SSD with the doubling of RAM?
(Hoping it won't take that much space away..)

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks.Thought I'd ask.

Having a full-tower case(Cooler Master Storm Trooper) makes this a lot easier than if I had a tiny mid-tower case.

Looking forward to getting my new memory installed this afternoon.
(Hopefully,it'll arrive sooner rather than later.Glad I have an Amazon Locker close by.)

Will Windows 10 Pro 64-bit take up another 16 GB of pagefile on my boot SSD with the doubling of RAM?
(Hoping it won't take that much space away..)
I have 32GB of ram, and my pagefile is 4GB currently. Windows 10 does a pretty good job with the pagefile, but you can set a size if you want.

ASK THE COMMUNITY