Dimensions of a peculiarly-sized M.2 card: SYBA SD-ADA40118

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
SYBA SD-ADA40118
I did not notice it at first, but this M.2 card is wider than the connector. Probably "30 mm" wide, the next size up from "22 mm" in the M.2 standard.
Length? Can a screw at a motherboard's "42 mm" position secure the end of this card?
SD-ADA40118.PT.02-500x500.jpg
SD-ADA40118.PT.04-500x500.jpg

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
It's a PCI Express to SATA expansion card in a different form factor. Same types of controller, in this case: Marvell 88SE9230 (PCI Express 2.0 x2 to 4x SATA 3). Contacts of this card are exactly those of a B+M M.2: 6+19+5.

I'm aware of what it is, I'm just struggling to see there being a big demand for it. How many people need more SATA ports than what's on board and have an open M.2 slot but not an open PCIe slot? This is putting ports in less than ideal places and it's a huge waste of bandwidth in most cases.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
I'm aware of what it is, I'm just struggling to see there being a big demand for it. How many people need more SATA ports than what's on board and have an open M.2 slot but not an open PCIe slot? This is putting ports in less than ideal places and it's a huge waste of bandwidth in most cases.

For a circa Haswell motherboard, M.2 slots with PCIe 2.0 x2 were fairly common; certainly far more so than x2 or x4 full-size slots that don't subtract from the GPU's allotment of PCIe 3 lanes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I see a definite utility, to this card, for mini-ITX server applications, if that adapter will fit in an M.2 socket used by Wifi cards on ITX boards. If the board itself sports 4 SATA ports, then this would add 4 more, giving you a robust 8 SATA ports.

(Or you could search out an A85X / A88X mini-ITX FM2+ board, with the legendary 8 SATA ports onboard.)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
For a circa Haswell motherboard, M.2 slots with PCIe 2.0 x2 were fairly common; certainly far more so than x2 or x4 full-size slots that don't subtract from the GPU's allotment of PCIe 3 lanes.

And most of those boards still had 6+ on board SATA ports. If you're needing more SATA ports than that, it's likely for a file/media server in which case GPU is generally moot anyways. Maybe I'm just picky with my computers but I don't like cables strung all over the place and I don't know of any boards with M.2 slots in a location were you aren't stringing SATA cables across your board.

I see a definite utility, to this card, for mini-ITX server applications, if that adapter will fit in an M.2 socket used by Wifi cards on ITX boards. If the board itself sports 4 SATA ports, then this would add 4 more, giving you a robust 8 SATA ports.

Or just buy an actual server board that has 8+ ports on board. I'm not sure what circles that FM2 board is legendary in, but it's not in any of the server circles I reside in. Asrock has multiple ITX server boards that have 8+ ports onboard, if you've got a little extra room they've got an extended ITX board that supports a total of 14 SATA drives.