Dime worth $1.9 million makes it across country

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I once met someone who owns one of the other examples. Didn't get to see it though (these things don't come out of bank vaults unless they are changing hands).

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Yongsta
Originally posted by: joshsquall
$57,000 for a 5 or 6 hour flight. Not bad.

I would love to have that job.

Most likely he's getting paid for more than a flight, but for choosing to become a top coin dealer by vigorously studying coins and building relationships with customers and collectors over many years.

If that seems like more work than its worth, then perhaps being a simple drug mule would be more attractive. ;)

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'd be choking the whole time it was going through the xray machine until I got to the other side and saw it was still in the basket.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Meh. I thought the story was gonna be about how the dime made it across the country by vendors giving change. Did I even make any sense with that sentence?

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
At the end of the day it's still a dime, regardless of how many were produced that particular year.

I wouldn't pay more than $0.10 for it.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
apparently the story of why there is only 9 is suppose to be really interesting... google didnt help me find it though.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: kranky
I once met someone who owns one of the other examples. Didn't get to see it though (these things don't come out of bank vaults unless they are changing hands).

I don't really understand the point of owning one then. Maybe that's why I'm not a coin collector.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
At the end of the day it's still a dime, regardless of how many were produced that particular year.

I wouldn't pay more than $0.10 for it.

I think (coin) collectors may as well be called investors. Would you pay 1.9 mil for a coin if someone would pay twice that 10 years down the road?

at least, that's the only way I can see rationalizing spending so much money on an otherwise silly hobby.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
my friend founnd a 1920 dime in his backyard. he cleaned it and keeps it. probably worth something as well.