Dilemma about giving notice at work

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Yossarian
30 days is unacceptable. I don't think many companies are going to wait a month for a new hire to start. Two weeks is standard, tell that bitch to fvck off.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
I don't understand this "policy." Are they going to spank you if you don't give 30 days? What can they do if you quit?

ShooterMcB

Jun 6, 2006
I have some ignorant questions.
I understand the idea of leaving on good terms, and not burning bridges, but if you have a job lined up and ready to go why does it matter? How does a review for a company you won't be working for matter? Also, who gives a ****** what company policy is for leaving. How do they punish you after you're gone? Take your parking pass away? I agree that 14 days and fine and normal. Who cares if they change to 30? Are people gonna say, gee I wanna quit now but that darn policy... It's not like it's a contract? At-will is at will. You can get up and walk out any time of the day any day you want. These are just ignorant questions. I never have and never will work in a pure business environment such as this. Anything under contract is different of course but this is at-will we are talking about right? It's a two-way street. Can I initiate a policy with my work, they can't fire me without 30 days notice no matter what I do? The concept of this policy is laughable to me.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
i always thought the 14 day policy was a courtesy. what can a company do if you don't give them that?

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: maximus maximus
Give a 30 day notice period and say that you are going on a vaction after 14 days. Say that you want a break before the new job.

Your boss thinks that you are on vacation, meanwhile you can go and join the new job.

yes i'm sure they're that naive.

ShooterMcB

Jun 6, 2006
I'm still wondering why anyone cares what the current employer thinks when his new job is waiting for him and WANTS him to start by x date. What can they do to you honestly? Put THAT on my review.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: leeland
thing is she will just sh!t on my review after I leave I am assuming anyways...

I got the line " I am dissapointed in you" for putting in my notice :D

I was purplexed by that line...

Then you definitely need to notify HR.

I agree...if you are giving your boss written notice, I would give a copy to HR first.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Are you a manager/supervisor? A lot of companies like managers to give 30 days notice because they need time to find a replacement and train them, if you're just working the line so to speak, it isn't nearly as difficult to replace you and 2 weeks is customary. You have no obligation to give more than two weeks regardless, but I certainly wouldn't feel bad if you aren't in management. If she gives you a bad exit interview and it comes up at some interview in the future just explain the situation to them. It likely won't any ways, as most companies will only confirm that you were an employee for a given time period and perhaps your title, everyone is so litigious now-adays HR is always walking on egg shells.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: ShooterMcB
I have some ignorant questions.
I understand the idea of leaving on good terms, and not burning bridges, but if you have a job lined up and ready to go why does it matter? How does a review for a company you won't be working for matter? Also, who gives a ****** what company policy is for leaving. How do they punish you after you're gone? Take your parking pass away? I agree that 14 days and fine and normal. Who cares if they change to 30? Are people gonna say, gee I wanna quit now but that darn policy... It's not like it's a contract? At-will is at will. You can get up and walk out any time of the day any day you want. These are just ignorant questions. I never have and never will work in a pure business environment such as this. Anything under contract is different of course but this is at-will we are talking about right? It's a two-way street. Can I initiate a policy with my work, they can't fire me without 30 days notice no matter what I do? The concept of this policy is laughable to me.

Reason is if said person in the future is looking for another job, and wants to use this job as a reference

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
OK sorry for the long delay but here is a recap...

I gave a 14 day notice...technically the work policy is going tobe updated to be a requirement of 30 days but since that has not been posted I am only required to give 14 days..

Needless to say if I thougth she was a rag when I gave notice she was 10 times worse since she found out I only gave 14 days notice.

AND for all the boob comments she is like 55 :D So no way in hati is that happening

Depending on what state your in, they can't legally change policy. If it's at will employment, you can legally walk out of your job and leave and don't come back. The "two week" notice is simply to give the company time to try and find a replacement but it's not required. Again, legally the company cannot simply change the "policy" if the law says at-will. As for the exit review, who cares. Your not working there and collecting a paycheck anymore?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
thing is she will just sh!t on my review after I leave I am assuming anyways...

I got the line " I am dissapointed in you" for putting in my notice :D

I was purplexed by that line...

Then you definitely need to notify HR.

And say what ? That I am giving my notice and I think my boss might retaliate by giving me a bad exit review ?

Basically. You have to address the issue that it recently came to light that there was an "unofficial" 30 days notice policy in your department, and that your boss may retalitate based on violating that unoffficial policy by leaving you a poor performance review .

Retalitate?

Unoffficial?

Purplexed?

Dissapointed?

Ugh...and you guys work in an office environment I assume? :roll:

14 days is standard. I'd mention the unprofessional response you got during the exit interview. Even if policy stated 30 days notice they can't hold you to that.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I worked for 2 large companies <Fortune 100> and government, and nowhere it required to have 30 days or 4 weeks notice. Just be nice but firm and give your boss the standard 2 weeks notice. Get HR involve if need be.

Like others said, when the company fire or lay you off, they sure won't give you 30 days notice.