Dilemma about giving notice at work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Would she be any more "disappointed" in you if you grabbed her boob? I say go for it, she will look forward to you leaving and you wont be on a guilt trip. That would be a win win situation. :)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: bennylong
I agree, if she's such a bitch about this, I would just go in and clean out your desk and walk out.

lol, that would be comical. give a 2 week notice.. when she acts up.. give a 2 minute notice.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Tel lyour boss to ****** off, or whatever. She can't *force* you to come in on day 15. Tell her tough ******.

Yep...employment at will. You can leave tomorrow, if you want.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Dude, the most notice I have evr given any employer I have ever had was 3 days, and the least was 3 minutes.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: leeland
thing is she will just sh!t on my review after I leave I am assuming anyways...

I got the line " I am dissapointed in you" for putting in my notice :D

I was purplexed by that line...
Your Reply: Yes, I'm dissapointed in me too. I work for a company that wasn't able to counter offer with a better package than the offered by a second company that wants me. I guess my present company really doesn't want me and in essence is saying, " Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Definately contact HR. If HR doesn't prevent a retalliatory exit evaluation, contact a lawyer. Lawsuits prevent sh!tty behavior like that.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Just go for 2 weeks and then quit on the last day... you aren't required to give 2 weeks notice its a courtesy.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
put in 4 weeks then, just make sure that you let it be known that you are going to go on a 2 week vacation in 2 weeks.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
2 weeks is standard everywhere for At Will Employee. Think about it this way, do you think they will even give you 2 weeks when they fire you? I have seen people given less than 2 hours notice to clean up their desk.

Remember, you're an At Will Employee, you can quit anytime, they can fire you at anytime and believe me, they wouldn't give you the courtousy of 4 weeks when they fire ya ass.

true story

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
This isn't even a dilemma. It's just about your boss being a bitch. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about her.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
you worry too much.....during your exit interview express you concerns...then move on...

ok let me say it again..move on..you have successfully closed a chapter in your life..you are about to open a new one at your new job...move on....stop worrying...

maximus maximus

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2004
Give a 30 day notice period and say that you are going on a vaction after 14 days. Say that you want a break before the new job.

Your boss thinks that you are on vacation, meanwhile you can go and join the new job.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
If ou have two weeks worth of leave time accumulated, schedule the last two weeks as vacation. Problem solved. ;)

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Did you sign a contract saying you would give 30 days? If not, leave in 7 and enjoy a week off before the new job starts.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just tell her that you gave 2 weeks as a courtesy. if she doesn't like that, you can always leave now...then contact HR and explain to them what's going on, and let them know you are leaving in 2 weeks...IF she doesn't become too much of a bitch...otherwise, you'll leave sooner.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DaTT
Dude, the most notice I have evr given any employer I have ever had was 3 days, and the least was 3 minutes.

haha i have you beat, the least ive given was no notice at all... just left at lunch and never came back...

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
Originally posted by: AUMM
Originally posted by: DaTT

haha i have you beat, the least ive given was no notice at all... just left at lunch and never came back...

LOL reminds me of a guy I used to work with. The whole dept went out to lunch one day but he didn't come. When we got back in the office, there was an email from him to everyone in the dept saying:

Subject: While you were at lunch...

Body: ...I got another job! Bye!

:D

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
policy > boss

If they were to fire you, do you get 30 days, 14 days or 0 days??

lol

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
OK sorry for the long delay but here is a recap...

I gave a 14 day notice...technically the work policy is going tobe updated to be a requirement of 30 days but since that has not been posted I am only required to give 14 days..

Needless to say if I thougth she was a rag when I gave notice she was 10 times worse since she found out I only gave 14 days notice.

AND for all the boob comments she is like 55 :D So no way in hati is that happening

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
I agree, if she's such a bitch about this, I would just go in and clean out your desk and walk out.

lol, that would be comical. give a 2 week notice.. when she acts up.. give a 2 minute notice.

That would be manning UP:)

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Why do you need an exit review? You've already got a new job. The only review you should be worried about now is the one you'll get when you leave the new job.