Dilemma about giving notice at work

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
OK so I gave my notice today and it went about as well as a root canal...anyways the general unspoken rule in the department is a 30 day notice...which I thought was standard...speak to the new manager at the new job and they would like me to be able to start within 2 weeks...which leaves me in a pickle.

So I looked up the policy and it only states 14 days. So I am more than likely going to submit the letter to my boss with the 14 days notice and have her jump down my throat when she realizes it.

All Jokes aside how can I handle this without it getting too ugly ? Any recommendations ?

thanks,

Leeland

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Tel lyour boss to ****** off, or whatever. She can't *force* you to come in on day 15. Tell her tough ******.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
If you wanna look like a puss but avoid confrontation, have a meeting with you, HR, and your boss.

Otherwise, just man up and give the 2 weeks. You think they would give you 2 weeks notice if they were firing you, let alone a months?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
thing is she will just sh!t on my review after I leave I am assuming anyways...

I got the line " I am dissapointed in you" for putting in my notice :D

I was purplexed by that line...

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: leeland

Then you definitely need to notify HR.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ

And say what ? That I am giving my notice and I think my boss might retaliate by giving me a bad exit review ?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Dear Boss,
In accordance with page x, paragraph y of BFG Industries policy and procedures manual I respectfully submit my resignation effectve <insert date 14 days from submission here>

Sincerely,
leeland

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
2 weeks is standard everywhere for At Will Employee. Think about it this way, do you think they will even give you 2 weeks when they fire you? I have seen people given less than 2 hours notice to clean up their desk.

Remember, you're an At Will Employee, you can quit anytime, they can fire you at anytime and believe me, they wouldn't give you the courtousy of 4 weeks when they fire ya ass.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

And say what ? That I am giving my notice and I think my boss might retaliate by giving me a bad exit review ?

Basically. You have to address the issue that it recently came to light that there was an "unofficial" 30 days notice policy in your department, and that your boss may retalitate based on violating that unoffficial policy by leaving you a poor performance review .

Bartino

Jun 27, 2005
dude you have a new job. as far as i am concerned it is doing your boss a favor to stay 2 weeks. there is no way that i would agrre to giving a months notice

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
If the rule says 14 days, then the rule says 14 days. "Unspoken" anything doesn't factor in.

If they don't like it, you can explain it to the people for the next job.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bennylong
2 weeks is standard everywhere for At Will Employee. Think about it this way, do you think they will even give you 2 weeks when they fire you? I have seen people given less than 2 hours notice to clean up their desk.

Remember, you're an At Will Employee, you can quit anytime, they can fire you at anytime and believe me, they wouldn't give you the courtousy of 4 weeks when they fire ya ass.

I totally agree and feel the same way...I just hate that enviornment after the announcement has been made...and how I am envisioning i will be treated by the boss and CIO...

It is amazing to watch grown people act like such children...as if being an ass is going to bully someone into staying or feeling bad for leaving.

I would be the exact opposite and try to be supportive at least to some degree...and would hope I would have my finger on the pulse of the staff enough to have an idea if someone wasn't happy or wanted a different oppourtunity....

which is what happened to me...I saw myself in my current position not going ANYWHERE for the next 5 years...so I went out and found a different job that gave me more room and opportunity for growth and advancement...

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000

great point...I will wait to see what kind of reaction she give me...if she gives me sh!t about it then I will make a call
Basically. You have to address the issue that it recently came to light that there was an "unofficial" 30 days notice policy in your department, and that your boss may retalitate based on violating that unoffficial policy by leaving you a poor performance review .

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

great point...I will wait to see what kind of reaction she give me...if she gives me sh!t about it then I will make a call

Oh yea, one more thing.

If she does wind up leaving you a ****** review and HR doesn't do anything, THEN grab her boob.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
If she is that much of a little sh@t then not only a bad review your getting but she will also steal the office coffee maker and blame it on your ass.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Let HR know of your concerns, if you feel they're valid. HR is pretty much their to avoid lawsuits, and an unjust performance review and/or exit interview because you didn't follow the unwritten rule is the type of material they live to prevent.

<---- is in HR

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
If you are leaving for a new job, why do you care? Give the b!tch a one-day notice.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
First time I've heard of an exit review / interview. What is it? Considering you have already put in your two weeks who cares what BS review they give you. Your on to bigger and better things.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
30 days is unacceptable. I don't think many companies are going to wait a month for a new hire to start. Two weeks is standard, tell that bitch to fvck off.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
I agree, if she's such a bitch about this, I would just go in and clean out your desk and walk out.

The Batt?sai

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Yossarian
30 days is unacceptable. I don't think many companies are going to wait a month for a new hire to start. Two weeks is standard, tell that bitch to fvck off.

qft