[DigiTines] : Intel to postpone mass shipments of Ivy Bridge processors

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by NoobyDoo, Feb 16, 2012.

1. NoobyDoo

NoobyDoo Senior member

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120215PD215.html

2. MisterMac

MisterMac Senior member

So in short, pleasing their partneers and mostly centered around the portable formfactor.

They could still release the highend mainstream chips for us geeks...

3. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully the limited supply does jack up the market price. Making reservations. :sneaky:

4. nategator

nategator Junior Member

Translation: ultrabooks (overpriced wannabe Macbook Airs) have not been selling at the overpriced $1k price because most people just buy the ticker laptop with about the same specs for hundreds less. Since everyone is freaking out about the 30% haircut projected as soon as Ivy Brige comes out with Llano level integrated graphics, Intel is throwing a bone to the manufacturers and holding off on mass releasing the chips until June in the hopes that the manufaturers will be able to clear out their inventory and avoid taking the 30% haircut.

Speculation: Intel will release Ivy Bridge to select partners like Apple, Samsung, and HP for their flagship ultrabooks in April to build up hype for the platform. Supplies will be limited and prices kept north of 1k. Then Intel will mass release the chips for mid-tier ultrabooks and normal laptops from the above manufactures and dell, acer, asus, etc.

Question mark: what Intel does about the desktop chips. I see no reason why Intel should delay release for the enthusiast crowd as they can only help the marketing scheme but who knows at this point since Intel is acting stupid.

Once again, blindly copying Apple products is biting manufacturers in the ass and causing collateral damage to consumers. This reminds me of how Google decided to close source Honeycomb because Motorola started throwing a hissy fit over Xoom´s complete failure.

#4 nategator, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. JAG87

JAG87 Diamond Member

This article is about ULV mobile Ivy Bridge, with tablets there's hardly any market for those, who the f cares.

6. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

The article actually explains why the delay has happened, no need for translation and so on:
    This is pure and simple market timing management.

7. guskline

guskline Diamond Member

That's the way I read it. The tip came from "notebook" players. If you think about it, Intel wants the SB notebook market to stabilize. For the Desktop I would bet they will release ASAP. Heck they released an i5-2550k already eventhough the i5-2500k sells like hotcakes.

8. frostedflakes

frostedflakes Diamond Member

Doesn't sound like the delay will affect desktop users and enthusiasts, but if you were wanting an Ivy Bridge based notebook you'll probably be waiting a bit longer now.

9. Rvenger

Rvenger Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
    Super Moderator

Hmm, title should be edited.

10. nategator

nategator Junior Member

The translation was because the leakers are blaiming this all on market conditions, which is nonsense. In reality, it´s because ultrabooks were priced too high to begin with because manufacturers thought they could get Apple´s margins without being Apple.

So for the poor ultrabook buyers that took Intel at its word and held off purchasing a SB ultrabook for IB, they just got shafted. Since I was looking at a desktop buy myself, I´m not too concerned myself since I was going to probably going to get discrete graphics anways unless the IG pulled a miracle on benchmarks.

11. StrangerGuy

StrangerGuy Diamond Member

PC ultrabooks are already dead in the water because MB Air is already selling beyond the point where the others can compete with it in terms of pricing, manufacturing costs and volume.

Too late for you, Dell/HP/etc.

12. gibbs007

gibbs007 Member

Is this only for mobile or also for desktop cpu's?

13. LordNoob

LordNoob Senior member

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might affect the release of ivy bridge in the next iMac? I had read rumors/speculation that the new iMacs would be out around April.

14. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

Angry much?

How is waiting an extra month or two 'getting shafted'?

15. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

You re misleading the general public.

IB IGP will be nowwhere close to Llano IGP , moreover
    if we take into account the poor image quality of current SB IGP that is completly obscured by usuals intels afficionados..

SB IGP :

[​IMG]

Llano IGP :

[​IMG]

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21099/11

16. IntelEnthusiast

IntelEnthusiast Intel Representative

Guys just so you I havent heard anything close to this. While you can expect a shortage of product when it is released as we work to meet the demand from all corners. I am not hearing anything close to having an overstock of our 2nd generation Intel® Core&#8482; processors; as a matter of fact we have had issues meeting the demand on the Intel Core i5-2500K, Intel Core i7-2600K, Intel Core i7-2700K and the Intel Core i7-3930K have all had supply issues over the last couple months.

My plans have not changed; I am planning on getting myself a new ultrabook in a couple months.

17. amenx

amenx Golden Member

I wouldnt be surprised if it were true.. Im sure Intel is not worried of anyone jumping ship to BD :p.

Another thing to ponder is that since IB was originally due out Q4 2011, and if there are further delays, what will that do to Haswells schedule? Would look silly if IB were mass shipped "after June" when Haswell is due (Mar/April?) next year.

18. Khato

Khato Golden Member

I'm not certain that I'd buy that explanation. Why? Because they'd just be replacing it with 22nm IVB inventory as I doubt they'd let their leading edge 22nm fabs sit idle.

19. IntelUser2000

IntelUser2000 Elite Member

And Ivy Bridge...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

Not bad but still not as good as Llano if you look at carefully :

[​IMG]

21. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22486

22. IntelUser2000

IntelUser2000 Elite Member

Yes, and as Anand noted in their 5870 review, it doesn't make a difference in real world. Nvidia has it worse. Besides, its hard to tell such details from a smaller screenshot.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/13

Straight from AMD:

#22 IntelUser2000, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  23. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

Thats not true at all.

I can use any Intel GPU and the visible colors are like a pyschodelic-rainbow all over my screen. Its terrible. You can't even web-browse on them or do anything with visual requirements. :rolleyes:

24. Khato

Khato Golden Member

True enough. But on the flipside Intel went from 2005 era anisotropic filtering to something roughly equivalent to 2009 in a single year. They look to be catching up rather quickly.

25. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

Right , IB will likely be Intel s first DX up to date IGP ,
    quite a progress assuming they put as much work
    on the drivers as well.