News [Digitimes] Intel shortage likely to continue through 2020

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Ooh, this is bad. Doubly bad is that it seems that OEMs are finally fed up and are starting a push to AMD now.

The shortage of course is because of the really awful 10 nm yield and the 14 nm die hog that is Cooper Lake.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Over at enterprise, Intel gets chosen mostly for political reasons rather than technical, aka covering your own butt.

It's easy to buy AMD for your personal use when you aren't living in the shadow of backstabbing and blame-gaming by nefarious office politics of the usual kind. Trust me, I have been there.

I don't disagree but in my specific case I know what I need, IT should simply place the order instead of challenging it using 5 clueless guys doing several meetings probbaly costing more than the workstation would. I will be maintaining and using that machine for myself.

Reactions: prtskg

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I'm not sure about the thread to post this in, but seems quite relevant considering Intel Shortage and Apple modem business:

To me it seems, that one of the main causes for the shortage will be over once 5nm phones start rolling out.

Also a longer article on venturebeat.
This is the kind of stuff that's normally produced at a foundry like by TSMC, and it causes serious and prolonged shortage at Intel. Relatively small modem dies for one major (but not even the biggest) mobile manufacturer causes a shortage for all other products at Intel, please let that sink in. I never want to hear again that TSMC is constrained by capacity.