Digital recorder for class

jjessico

May 29, 2002
My roomate is looking for a digital recorder for his classes. Should he get a specialized voice recorder or are there mp3 players with a line-in that he could hook a small mic up to and record on that?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jason

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I have no idea what's good, but back in college I got a minicassette recorder for that exact purpose. I used it once to record classes, I used it a second time to record a conversation with some piece of crap food employee... then I never used it again.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
a tape style recorder will work better for recording an hour or two of classes at a time.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
My Creative Muvo has a built-in mic and a line-in for an external mic. I think there are several others out there that are that way too.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jjessico
Any idea how that mic in the MuVo works?
I dunno...I've never tried to record a lecture with it. I would guess that an external directional mic would work better than a standard built-in condensor mic regardless of the particular player.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
minidiscs are cheap. i used one for class, and i still use it in the car sometimes. they can hold like 5 hours on one disc, and you can make a mic REAL cheap from parts from radioshack.