Digital cable boxes....

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm currently using digital cable in my tv room and analog in my bedroom. Just for kicks, I looked on ebay and they are showing the same model of digital cable box that I have for less $40. Would it work with my current cable setup? My current cable company has no problem with you buying your own boxes, but they are the only source locally and they sell em for $200.

I guess what I'm asking is, do cable companies do special programming on their boxes before they give them to customers? Could I just buy another digital box (same exact model) from a third party source, would it work?

Thanks guys!

woodly6

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
I dont think it would be a problem, but the best people to ask is your cable techs if you can ever get them to pick up the phone after you've been on hold fo rlike 2 hours.

RambleOn

Sep 15, 2001
When you flip channels on your digitcal cable, do you often get that annoying distortion before the channel comes in? I was just wondering because my friend gets that on his, drives us crazy.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< When you flip channels on your digitcal cable, do you often get that annoying distortion before the channel comes in? I was just wondering because my friend gets that on his, drives us crazy. >>

I often got that when switching channels. You mean when you change channels, the new channel comes in all blocky and then clears up, right? That was one of the nails in the coffin for digital cable, as far as i'm concerned.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yep, that is the compression showing it's ugly head. Personally I could care less because my digital channels are light years better quality than the analog channels which have lots of ghosting and snow.

Zorro

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999

<< I'm currently using digital cable in my tv room and analog in my bedroom. Just for kicks, I looked on ebay and they are showing the same model of digital cable box that I have for less $40. Would it work with my current cable setup? My current cable company has no problem with you buying your own boxes, but they are the only source locally and they sell em for $200.

I guess what I'm asking is, do cable companies do special programming on their boxes before they give them to customers? Could I just buy another digital box (same exact model) from a third party source, would it work?

Thanks guys!
>>

No you will not be able to use it. Unless you get permission from your cable company. The box requires a hit from there head end in order to work.

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
If it works like my Digital Cable, the company needs to activate it from their end. I guess it would work, but I'd ask them first since they'll probably have to activate it.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

<< When you flip channels on your digitcal cable, do you often get that annoying distortion before the channel comes in? I was just wondering because my friend gets that on his, drives us crazy. >>

Artifacing is something that will never go away. It's what happens when you convert analogue signal into an MPEG encoding. It will come in artifaced at first.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<<

Artifacing is something that will never go away. It's what happens when you convert analogue signal into an MPEG encoding. It will come in artifaced at first.
>>

That's funny, it doesn't happen on my DSS dish, and it uses MPEG compression. :)

AkumaBao

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2001
It's the same with the broadband internet connection. If you buy the hardware, and hook it up, it won't work without the service. It has to be turned on. You could always climb up the pole yourself, but that's another story.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I think I should clear something up, I currently have digital cable and plan to continute paying for it. My question was regarding whether I could buy a second box and run it along with the box I am renting. So I wouldn't be just trying to get digital cable without paying for it.

Zorro: So each box would have to be activated seperately by the cable company?

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001

<< So each box would have to be activated seperately by the cable company? >>

No, if you're getting the same model it will not be a problem. I started off with one digital box here and got a couple of others second hand. They all work fine. Maybe I just got lucky or something. I get adelphia cable and got a box from a time warner user