Digital Black and White.

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
I'm just getting into taking B/W photo's, but , newb.
I have a Canon 6D , and several manuals I am reading.

While I assume I'm using post processing on this , (I use adobe) , I'd like thoughts on doing cool black and white digitally.

:D

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Not ONE comment eh ?

OK.
I am after a large format black and white to get professionally printed onto a big poster.
----

Do I use digital at all ?
Or should I pay for a real large format film b/w ?

Throw me a bone.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I don't understand what you're asking for here. Are you asking for how to convert your color photos from your 6d to black and white? There's various methods that you have to find that works for you. Lightroom has black and white presets, they have the Black and white mode (versus Color), and you can achieve black and white by just dropping saturation on your color photos.

Where's large format film coming from? Are you paying a photog to take a picture with a large format camera, or are you talking about buying/renting one? Why?

Also, why are you asking about black and white? If you're looking for some sort of aged look, then maybe film is the way to go, or you can look up ways to process digital to look like film. There's a lot of info out there, but I think people don't understand what you're asking for here.

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Ah.....apologies.
I want nice poster sized black and white photographs , to print onto 2' x 3' (or larger) posters....this is where I'm curiuos about large format.

Question 1 :
Film or Digital ? a canon 6d does 5k images , but I'm not sure if this is enough for a crisp poster.

Question 2 : If I want to try with my camera , I assume there will be preferred settings if you are going to use post processing to get B/W.What would these be ? Or is it all Post ?

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I've done 2'x3' with 24 MP just fine. Part of it is viewing distance. There's plenty of info out there about optimal resolution for particular size prints on the internet, but in the end you work with what you got and it will look better than expected unless you're planning to view such a large print from a foot away.

For shooting for B&W, you should shoot raw for maximum post processing capabilities. That's pretty much it.

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Cool !
Thanks for the response !

I took the shots today .
I used my 6d with a 40mm STM prime.Took 5 mins.Got all RAW images.
I suspect this probably should be a "photoshop" thread......I'm betting that's where I'll be spending the next 8 hours.

Cheers !
:D