Digital answering machines - battery inside?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Title may be misleading. I need some info. Here's my situation.

I have a cordless phone, w/a built in digital answering machine. I have saved messages on there that are 5 years old. No kidding. Some of my son's first words are on there...as well as some of the last words my Father ever spoke.

The phone is dying...I need a new one. If I unplug the phone and store it away "forever" , will the messages stay on there? Are they on like, an EEPROM and "burned permanently" in there like on a BIOS., that unless you "flash it" (erase or record over) it stays there forever?

Or, is there like a watch battery inside the phone that keeps the messages alive? I am more than capable of opening the phone and looking, but I would just DIE if I busted it open, a battery fell out and the messages were lost forever.

AFAIK, this question has never been asked her before...leave it to me to come up yet another doozy of a problem. Help. :)

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
It's probably battery backed up RAM, however instead of a battery they use a large capacitor. If you leave the recorder unplugged for more than a few days to a few weeks most likely everything will be erased.

EDIT: You should record the messages you want and burn them to a CD!

Cheers!

Oct 9, 1999
record the messages out of there and if you replace it hope it stays there.

the reason is that my parents answering machine wont remember it for some reason.. ours does.. and though our date is screwed up thank god that message from my ex boss threatening me is still on the machine.. I have to remind myself to back it up tommorow.. thanks for the advanced notice.. I am keeping it like that so when i get to see him at court that answering machine will be proof.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I had a phone like that, it used a 9-volt battery. if the battery died when the power went out the messages got lost.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
This is why I prefer the old school answering machines with micro-casette tapes.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I just moved and had my digital answering machine unplugged for about 8 hrs. When I plugged it back it, everything was gone. Greetings, messages, numbers, everything.

This was an ATT phone + digital answering machine.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks very much, guys. I have known for a long time now that I have to back this up onto a CDR. I know my soundcard has a microphone in...I may just do it that way.

How to record? With WMP?