DigDog's very own semi-awesome holiday-to-Thailand thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I find it much worse if you constantly seek out the ac, you eventually get used to the heat and just a small fan is sufficient i've found. The older i get the more i like the heat and hate the cold. The heat in SEA is on different level than what we have here in the DR though.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Yeah, will be here until March
i did go there once, but i spent my holiday in a daze. I don't know for a fact, but i think when i went there had just been a coup. There was army personnel everywhere, with shotguns. (i know shotguns aren't exactly war guns, but that's what they had)
Billboards with some guy's face and "this is your president" on it.
I remember Ron Brugal 151 being absolutely brutal.
Now that i think about it, i cannot remember a single time i ate food during my holiday. I mean through the mouth, instead through other facial orifices.

I remember buying a huge box of churchill-sized, obviously fake Cohiba, but given that they were faked with LOCAL leaf, they were absolutely as good - if not even better - than the real thing.

Jul 27, 2020
Now that i think about it, i cannot remember a single time i ate food during my holiday. I mean through the mouth, instead through other facial orifices.

I remember buying a huge box of churchill-sized, obviously fake Cohiba, but given that they were faked with LOCAL leaf, they were absolutely as good - if not even better - than the real thing.
I have so many questions. I don't think I wanna know the answers :oops:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I have so many questions. I don't think I wanna know the answers :oops:
Cohiba are a worldwide famous brand of cigars (reputed to be among the best) made exclusively in Cuba. Cuba, you will find, is not the same country as the Dominican Republic.
Now the D.R. also has their own copyright of "Cohiba" but they are not the same.
To top it off, the Cohiba brand is often cloned, like if you were to buy a fake Louis Vuitton bag.

The .. uh .. "problem", so to speak, is that a "fake" cigar still needs to be made of cigar leaf. And given that you are in D.R., a country which grows some of the best tobacco in the world, the fake cigars are made with the same leaves as the non-fake ones. The only difference in the end is that the paper ring with the brand is fake in one, not fake in the other.
it's like if you went to Korea and they sold you a playstation from the same factory as the original Sony, but the box is fake.

And i paid nothing for them.

"Churchill" is a name that specifies a size of cigar. And churchills are BIG. The kind that Aaaaarnold Schwartzenegger would smoke.
I think i paid $100 for a box of 20, where normally a box of 25 "esplendidos" (churchills) costs today .. uh .. $4000.

(also: cocaine)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
@igor_kavinski dude if you're 50 and you go on a coke binge once every other year and then don't even touch a join in between, it's not gonna do anything to you.
Also, this was like 1998, the world was different and i was convinced i was gonna have money forever.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i did go there once, but i spent my holiday in a daze. I don't know for a fact, but i think when i went there had just been a coup. There was army personnel everywhere, with shotguns. (i know shotguns aren't exactly war guns, but that's what they had)
Billboards with some guy's face and "this is your president" on it.
I remember Ron Brugal 151 being absolutely brutal.

The guards/police with shotguns is pretty normal(?) , especially in the gated communities (i pass 3-4 of them on my morning walk). I'm no rum drinker but the Brugal factory is about 15 min drive from here...i love the food here, but we have a lot of different types of restaurants here because of the huge number of expats from Europe. Dominican food is pretty good although it lacks spice imo , fish is so good here. The amount of construction here is insane...so many new villa's / condo's being put up, tourism is in full swing here, record number of tourists compared to 2019. Inflation has been a killer here, beer used to be about 100-125 pesos , now closer to 175-200

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
let's briefly jump back to page 2.
Russia WENT BAD
Belgium WENT BAD
Holland WENT BAD
France was allright
Croatia and then some more it's just boring
Spain WENT BAD
technically i have been to Portugal, for 1 day, to me it doesn't count. DIDNT HAVE TIME TO GO BAD
Marocco didnt really go bad but it was still fucked up
Austria WENT BAD
Mamma Italia (duh) basically life is bad, here
England, and Scotland, i suppose ALSO WENT BAD
'Murica
i spent 5 days locked in a cabin across the border, so i guess, Canada, as well?
Santo Domingo miraculously did not go bad
Jamaica was amazing
Brasil was ok, but the fruit juice is to die for
Argentina was allright despite Covid
Mexico was awesome
Greece kinda sucked
1. russia - i was a 16yo virgin tryina get laid, i had a hooker steal all my money and dump me on the outskirts of moscow in the night & freezing cold. I managed to bum a ride from a taxi driver for free, who was with his mates and they were THE DRUNKEST HUMANS HAVE EVER BEEN, purposedly hitting potholes.
I lived but i got caught by my school teacher - yes we were on a field trip. (did not get expelled)
2. belgium was boring, i spent a night in a hotel, had nothing to do, fired up WinMX and surfed the internet in the late 90s. The next morning for some stupid reason i insisted that i might have a phone bill to pay, it came to almost 200 EURO today. Dialup innit.
3. Holland, i ate waaaay too many mushrooms, spent the night in bed terrorized by hallucinations of being tortured by the biker guy from the village people.
4. France has got rillettes and brie so it could not possibly go wrong.
5. croatia is a snoozefest.
6. i dont remember why i said that Spain went bad, we had a great time ordering and then eating so much shellfish, the owner of the restaurant came to watch over us making sure we wouldn't dash. Oh yeah, and i drove from barcelona to rome without a license and nearly destroyed by rental car, then my idiot saxophonist spent all the money on snacks that we needed for fuel and accidentally threw out the weed.
7. Marocco is cool, i got gastroenteritis and you basically have to bribe everyone, but they got great hash.
8. Austria we went to the single most depressing and badly organized rave party i've ever seen, and this was like 2001. Also boring.
9. England is a sad drab depressing place with nothing good to its name. Uh i guess the trains run on time.
10. The US is probably the place where i had the most fun of the entire world. Being in Boston as a too-old college student with money is so amazing, you'd think you live in a teen movie.
11. Santo Domingo was decent, but only years after i realize that i had miraculously gone via a route which is normally PACKED with police checkpoints and somehow there were none and i did not spend the rest of my life in jail.
12. Jamaica has some really interesting food, plus Jerk Chicken is outworldly, and i spent almost 2 weeks in the arms of a woman so beautiful, Naomy Campbell ain't go shit on her.
13. Brasil is nice but the crime rate holy fuck. Food is top notch.
14. Argentina is .. WAS, as things have changed recently, was SUPER cheap.
I was at a shop with my argentinian friend and we were buying beer, and i saw the wine and i turned to him and i said, "should we buy this?", then paused and said "whatever stuff is free anyway in this country". Like a bottle of wine is $1. Also cocaine cheap. Also you feel like you've travelled back to the 80s. And hot in the winter.
15. Mexico City is disgusting, but i went to Zipolite, a hippy retreat near Puerto Escondido, and it was the closest i've ever been to paradise.
16. Greece is okaish, the fresh fish is nice, but the greeks are boring, the scenery is boring, i don't think they know how to have fun. YMMV.
17. And Thailand was pretty good. Relaxing and not expensive.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm even more confused. I thought you were a Brit who was raised in Italy and now living in UK? Are you now in DR?

Jul 27, 2020
let's briefly jump back to page 2.

*your travel history*
See what I said about not being able to monetize? You could be a nomadic traveling Youtuber with millions of views, documenting your travels for the entire world to see. Yet you are posting here on this forum :oops:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
See what I said about not being able to monetize? You could be a nomadic traveling Youtuber with millions of views, documenting your travels for the entire world to see. Yet you are posting here on this forum :oops:
uh no. The last time i "travelled" was 2003. I mean, in a style that could influence people, in exchange for blingblings.

I was born in Italy. I am half-croatian because it was posh in the 70s to have a foreign wife.
My dad had a business in the US so we spend a lot of time there in the summer, between the 80s and the 90s. I went to college in Boston.
Otherwise i lived, or rather, legally resided in Italy. I consider myself italian, but then again, i also find i have a lot more in common with americans than i do with italians.
I came to the UK in 2005, and now i live here full time.

Reactions: igor_kavinski