DigDog's best films of the last 10 years thread

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
here is my list of the best films of the last 10 years, in no particular order. Only films that i have watched will be on the list, and although i have watched many, if not most of them, i know i may have missed out on some great films. Also i know that most of those that i chose not to watch are probably trash.

To be on this list, a film needs to be both good and memorable. There's been films in these last 10 years that i have enjoyed, but that i would neither want to watch again, nor feel i should strongly recommend them.

The list:

Whiplash
Edge Of Tomorrow
The Big Short
The Cabin In The Woods*
The Yellow Sea
Little Big Soldier
Untouchable
Moneyball
Limitless
Moonwalkers
Legend
Isle Of Dogs

well, that's it. i wished it was longer.

I have liked many other films; i've found myself thinking about Annihilation more than i would have imagined, i liked Her, Nightcrawler (to me, it's the same film as Joker, but better), blockbusters like Jack Reacher, Wolf Of Wall Street, True Grit, but none of them i would call "unmissable"; sure, if you watch them you will have fun, but if you miss them you won't be worse off. I loved The Hippopotamus, but i feel it's again a film that you can take it or leave it. I like The Gentlemen quite a lot, but it's just a well-made gangster comedy, it's not got anything memorable or unique in it.
I'm on the fence with The Master; P.S.Hoffman is a giant, but he plays the most unlikable character ever put on screen, it's difficult to enjoy it.
I loved Hot Tub Time Machine; it's a mental trip how they managed to recreate the 80s vibe, but aside from that, it's just a really, really brilliant comedy and not more.
Mr Right was hilarious - Anna Kendrick can be good when she wants to.

special mention for Cabin In The Woods; i hated this film, and it turns out, this is one of those rare instances where *I* did not understand the film. I went back on my original review after watching a youtube video explaining everything that i had missed and i now have a new appreciation for that film.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only one I've seen is The Cabin In The Woods, and it is a great movie IMO.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
here is a short summary of why these made the list and others didn't

Whiplash

Somehow manages to express visually what musicians feel inside. It's exaggerated, it's unrealistic, but it works. Both Miles Teller' and JK Simmon's best performances to date, AND an amazing soundtrack worthy on its own. Plus, the photography is brilliant.

Edge Of Tomorrow

The pacing of the introduction is the best i have seen in a hollywood film - it keeps you interested and there is not a second missed. The action is the second part is both excellent on its own, but also has the unique gimmick of repeating-but-not-quite which is unique. The development gives the characters some real depth, and .. well, the end is shit.

The Big Short

Performances so great by everyone that it's just a pleasure watching it over an over again. Greatest uses of cameos i've ever seen, compelling dialogue, great pacing, great secondary characters, by best 2010/2020 film.

The Cabin In The Woods*

At first glance, just a shitty horror film, but actually has some seriously deep insider-only meta references which make up the body of the film, so, notable for being particularly cryptic. Sigourney Weaver was horrible.

The Yellow Sea

.. a crime film / drama, it's absolutely unrelenting. Realism before anything else, and it's meant to make you cry, not cheer. It was not easy putting it here, but i would compare this favourably to Parasite.

Little Big Soldier

A Wuxia film which, although has many funny bits, is really a drama, and what a drama. Jackie Chan plays masterfully a character who is thrown about by events bigger than himself - a trope which i normally despise - and he tries, but fails, to make the world better.

Untouchable

Both a powerful theme handled with balls, but also spectacular performances by the two leads, with superb chemistry.

Moneyball

In primis notable for being Jonah Hill's only performance which doesn't suck, Brad Pitt bags this sombre role where the audience knows he's a genius, but the film doesn't.

Limitless

Exceptional performance by Bradley Cooper, not so great by Robert DeNiro - but mostly due to the character being badly developed - and a story which is bot exhilarating and well paced, although it veers off towards the end. It certainly could have been more.

Moonwalkers

Perfect casting and great performance by Rupert Grint and Ron Perlman, the selling point is the interplay between the absurd story, the 60s setting, and the visuals.

Legend

One-man show Tom Hardy manages to play two twins, onscreen at the same time, and yet both completely different. That should be enough to warrant a watch.

Isle Of Dogs

A Wes Anderson film, with the typical Wes Anderson quirk, except that here it turns it up to 11. The cast is animated dogs, most of the dialogue is in a foreign language, the animation is superb, and the story is excellent.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I"ve seen a few of these and I have to agree with you. I am falling behind in my movie watching it seems. Will try to check out the ones I missed.