Difficulties Magnetizing Plain Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDNeon

Feb 16, 2013
Well I figured while getting an answer to the title problem, I'll go all in and see how best an answer I can get on several things!

Basically I thought (seemingly wrong) that you could take a magnet, magnetize a magnetic metal, and repeat this process and compound magnets together eventually to create a compound magnet strong enough to saturate any magnetic metal...

Well I could magnetize weird steel:iron objects like files but they barely compound and they could only get so strong...so I went an bought a plainsteel bar, and had it cut to nice lengths, and wouldn't I be damned if the thing barely magnetized at all!

So what I'm trying to discover is:

Can a magnetic metal left in even a weak field long enough become saturated? If not why not?

Must a magnetic field be strong enough to over come anything such as magnetic domain? Is this or it's low permeability the reason the steel is not magnetizing?

Or did I get unlucky and get an Ausentitic piece of low-carbon steel and it can barely magnetize because of it's microstructure?

A bonus question, if the domains are random such that an object were not polar, if you were to align a fraction of the domains so that you had some retained magnetism, but not enough of the domains would the other random domains pull the aligned domains back out of alignement?

I've noticed my bars tend to lose magnetism and are painful to align the more I work them.

Hope these questions are clear as a layman...I hope they are not pretty dumb too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.