Different readings on core speed - GTX460

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
In the computer in my sig, I just recently started thinking about overclocking the GPU. But I'm really confused by the different readings I'm getting from various software. I want to establish a basepoint of course so I know what the 'stock' OEM installation of the card was.

When I use CPU-z it reports all the settings/readings of the rest of this computer properly. Yet under the Graphics tab, it shows the core as 50MHz, Shaders at 101, and memory at 135.

EVGA Precision on the other hand, shows my core clock at 720 and shaders 1440. Memory clock shows 1800.

When I read that MSI Afterburner supported overclocking w/Voltage control (which EVGA Precision does not), I got a copy of that. But it shows my core clock to be 1800 and shaders at 810!! Memory clock is 405

So there are three very well-known programs all showing completely different readings on this card, before I even do any overclocking or mods to it at all. And as you can see, all these readings are a MILE APART!

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
When using CPU-Z, change the Perf Level drop down menu to current, it is probably on default when showing those readings. EVGA Precision is showing your 3D stock speeds. As far as Afterburner, are you sure you are reading that correctly? The graph that corresponds with the title is below the title, I think you may be reading the graph above. Double-check that and let me know what it says.

What is the exact model of your card? Did it come overclocked?

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Looking at Afterburner right now. The digital readout on the right hand side of each slider is what I've been reading. It's right next to the word 'MAX' at the right side of the sliding bar. It is not displaying the max setting, but rather the number changes as I move the slider. Even when I move the slider all the way to MIN setting, it still reports core clock of over a grand. Shader clock display is in the expected range of core clock!

GPUid reports my card as a 10DE - 0E22. It's an EVGA GTX460. It's not OC from the factory, though it does have the updated CMOS to be at 720 from the factory.

Here is a link to a screen shot:

http://tinyurl.com/25k3u56

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The slider isn't that accurate.

Look at the display graph for the core/mem clock and fan speeds. Close Afterburner app then restart it will show you your current speed.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Hmm... I'm not sure on this. It may be that Precision and Afterburner are conflicting with each other, I would only use one program anyways. Try uninstalling Precision and reinstalling Afterburner?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Hmm... I'm not sure on this. It may be that Precision and Afterburner are conflicting with each other, I would only use one program anyways. Try uninstalling Precision and reinstalling Afterburner?

yes, you are right. Only have 1 overclocking program installed at any given time.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006

yes, you are right. Only have 1 overclocking program installed at any given time.

I agree with that; kinda like having two antivirus programs fighting for control. The only reason I wound up d/loading AB was because I read that it offered voltage control, which Precision does not.

It turned out to be a bust anyway, because the V slider is grayed out/unavail for my card. I was going to uninstall anyway, but I became alarmed when I saw how hugely different the numbers were.

Thanks for the help guys - gonna uninstall AB and stick to what came with the card (Precision).

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Your gpu throttles. Play a game and run afterburner. You will see the clocks rise. Mine does the same thing with the 570 51 core speed - but 758 in game.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I agree with that; kinda like having two antivirus programs fighting for control. The only reason I wound up d/loading AB was because I read that it offered voltage control, which Precision does not.

It turned out to be a bust anyway, because the V slider is grayed out/unavail for my card. I was going to uninstall anyway, but I became alarmed when I saw how hugely different the numbers were.

Thanks for the help guys - gonna uninstall AB and stick to what came with the card (Precision).

I dont think that the voltage increases on modern graphics cards are worth it. The extra increase you get is generally not that much, the extra beating you put on the graphics chip and vram does not seem worth it. I just read an article on hardocp and they got a 580 gtx to 900mhz which equaled a 10%, 12.5%, 15% gain (depending on the game) but they could hit 850 without the voltage. 50hmz for overvolting? I'd pass.