Different brand for nVidia cards, does it matters?

Hornet85

Nov 26, 2008
As per title, I saw a Geforce 9800GTX+, Forsa brand, its really cheap, much cheaper than other usual brands such as MSI or Gigabyte.

Is it ok if I get this Forsa card?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
SHould be ok. They're all pretty much designed after Nvidia's reference card.

EVGA, BGF, and XFX have a lifetime warranty.

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
SHould be ok. They're all pretty much designed after Nvidia's reference card.

EVGA, BGF, and XFX have a lifetime warranty.

I saw a Leadtek GTX280 that is much cheaper than a XFX one. Is the Leadtek card more likely to fail than the XFX one ( perhaps due to poorer quality control), even though they are designed from the same reference?

Manticorps

Jan 27, 2006
Not all EVGA cards have the lifetime warranty, those with that particular warranty cost more. Be aware of what you are buying. That said, I have some "cheaper" cards, such as a leadtek 6800 and pny gf3 that still work fine when called back to duty.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Forsa card is liable to have worse specs than other cards. Downclocked, GDDR2 instead of GDDR3, etc.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Manticorps
Not all EVGA cards have the lifetime warranty, those with that particular warranty cost more. Be aware of what you are buying. That said, I have some "cheaper" cards, such as a leadtek 6800 and pny gf3 that still work fine when called back to duty.

Can you provide examples? I can't find this information online.

On the subject of branding. There are many companies who are based in Taiwan (Asus, gigabyte, MSI etc) and do not offer a lifetime warranty. That factors into the cost of their cards. These companies can sometimes buy in higher volume as well due to their main business not being video card manufacture which gives them more buying power since they have a wide variety of product markets.

Hornet85

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitly look out for those stuff such as warranty

Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Forsa card is liable to have worse specs than other cards. Downclocked, GDDR2 instead of GDDR3, etc.

OMG... thanks for the info, unless I can comfirm the card spec, I'll probably stay away from it now

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

:confused:

Other than "B Stock", what EVGA cards dont have the same warranty?

Manticorps

Jan 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

This one at Newegg

is just one example. I currently have an EVGA card and was looking at others, it seems certain models have a 2 year(1+1) warranty now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

My EVGA 9600GSOs only have 1+1 year warranty.