Different Ad focus for site? (was: I'm losing my site stickiness. :-( Help!)

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I read the book The Big Red Fez yesterday, good book, and some of the website examples got me thinking about the right ad bar I created (the solid black column). So I'm considering redesigning it, so it is more effective, and easier to look at... I took a screenshot of the site and made a scratch example, it is here: Different Specials Container

What do you think? Will that look better? Does it matter? Someone mentioned to me that with the black column, they didn't even notice the specials ad. :p The whole point was to get the visitor's attention. Now the image is just an example, I could always make it solid yellow with a black border instead of white and yellow border.

-----------------------

I'm not sure what's going on here... when I first started working on hawgbuster.com, it was a hideous site with some good descriptive content about the products. But it navigated horribly and didn't interact well. My first revision to replace their original site, was not great, but better. Then I redid it again, and again it was better. And now, my most recent version is very professional looking, navigates well.

BUT - I've noticed a trend I am not at all comfortable with. To me the site keeps gettings better. But the first time I redid the site, people were using the feedback form like crazy, we almost got a submission every day if not a couple. They were requests for catalogs, reciprocal links, decals for boats, vendor inquiries, and testimonials of the product. But our total visits to the site were very few a day. So the visits we did get, were quality visits. But there really wasn't much to offer on the except descriptions of hte products.

So the next version was to server the visitor better... more aesthetic layout. And we still continued to receive feedback, but it was fewer. BUT we got more online sales. And we got more hits to the site.

But now, we are getting many more hits to the site - but almost nobody is sending us feedback. The online sales dropped. So somehow we've gone to quality visits to quantity visits. The only thing I can think of is that our site went from being homey and approachable to almost too professional, or mabye theres too much distraction...

I'd like your opinion by comparing the site versions. There were many steps in each version but I published whatever was the most recent just before it was replaced by a new version. So here it is:

Original Ugly Site
First Redo, not so pretty
2nd Redo, much better
Most Recent, I think it's the best... but is it effective?

thanks in advance

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
well, i thnk your largest problem is so many redesigns. i'm not sure how many hits a day you get, but usually if you're not sure about a design, you don't release it. people expect some degree of familiarity... makes them feel more comfortable, establishes a place for your site in their head. if they never know what to expect... well that isn't great.

i think the second to last design was easier for people to buy stuff with... simpler menu. if i can make a suggestion, i would get rid of your "store" link, and integrate the shopping cart software with your lures, jigs, whatever sections. it's more convenient that way because people can buy it right away instead of having to go to the store link

hmm, just had a look... well maybe integration is asking for too much. well in that case, make the store link larger than the others :) that way it will stick out and catch people's attention.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
well, i thnk your largest problem is so many redesigns. i'm not sure how many hits a day you get, but usually if you're not sure about a design, you don't release it. people expect some degree of familiarity... makes them feel more comfortable, establishes a place for your site in their head. if they never know what to expect... well that isn't great.

i think the second to last design was easier for people to buy stuff with... simpler menu. if i can make a suggestion, i would get rid of your "store" link, and integrate the shopping cart software with your lures, jigs, whatever sections. it's more convenient that way because people can buy it right away instead of having to go to the store link

hmm, just had a look... well maybe integration is asking for too much. well in that case, make the store link larger than the others :) that way it will stick out and catch people's attention.

The way I have the store page is virtually identical to the way it was in the last revision.

Actually I'm working on a new internal storefront right now. But why was it working better before...

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

I'm going to take your advice (which is in agreement with other webmaster's advice) and remove the store link. Or, I could keep the store link, with all the products on it, and then merge the lures, tubes, and jig pages into one page called Products. So one page is very descriptive and the other is for purchasing. Or does that just add to the confusion?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
The reason you're getting more visits is because you post it on here every three days and get the AT effect going.

BTW, it's 9:30 in the morning, I just got to work half an hour ago. You've got a few hours left till afternoon :)

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
The reason you're getting more visits is because you post it on here every three days and get the AT effect going.

BTW, it's 9:30 in the morning, I just got to work half an hour ago. You've got a few hours left till afternoon :)

Well yea, the most hits I've ever gotten at once was from anandtech, but I don't count that as traffic since nobody here is going to buy lures from us. ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
get rid of those "top 100 fishing sites", "fishing webring", "top 37 XXX hardcore sites", etc. banners on there. You might as well be saying "Please, I invite you to go to my competitor's sites and buy thier products! Hell, I'll even give you a link, see you later!".

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
people love search engines. most people won't even bother navigating through a site and will just use the search feature.

adding a search might help out your cause a little

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
get rid of those "top 100 fishing sites", "fishing webring", "top 37 XXX hardcore sites", etc. banners on there. You might as well be saying "Please, I invite you to go to my competitor's sites and buy thier products! Hell, I'll even give you a link, see you later!".

The peoples on WebHostingTalk Forums concur. I'm going to drop all the external links. They have helped bring in visitors but they're leaving through another link as soon as they arrive.

However, the banner exchange, I would still like to keep that somehow, the owner wants the banner exchange too... helps promote the site... what can I do with that? put it in the links section? maybe just add it to the Forum?

and as far as the Top37 XXX Hardcore sites, w'ere ranked #3. ;););) Gotta give the ATOTers something to look at.

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Have the links open in the current window, opening new windows everytime someone clicks on a link gets annoying.

There is a back button for a reason ;)

Hamburgerpimp

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I already see a problem. Your "store" takes about 15 seconds to load. At least for me. People may think the link is dead and move on.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I read the book The Big Red Fez yesterday, good book, and some of the website examples got me thinking about the right ad bar I created (the solid black column). So I'm considering redesigning it, so it is more effective, and easier to look at... I took a screenshot of the site and made a scratch example.

What do you think? Will that look better? Does it matter? Someone mentioned to me that with the black column, they didn't even notice the specials ad. The whole point was to get the visitor's attention. Now the image is just an example, I could always make it solid yellow with a black border instead of white and yellow border.

Different Specials Container