difference between VGA and DVI

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
hi i just ordered a projector and im deciding whether its worth the money to buy a dvi to hdmi cable and hook mt computer up to the projector that way, or to just use a vga cable. It has HDMI and VGA input on it so i can go either way.

Also jsut for reference how does component match up compared to those other 2. (If i should use a component cable for my cable box or HDMI.

I know that HDMI is the best of the 3 but just how much of a difference is it?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
VGA is analog and DVI/HDMI is digital. Digital is better than analog. Component is also analog. It's much better than S-video or composite, but isn't any better than VGA, so it isn't as good as digital.

evilbix

Oct 8, 2004
DVI and HDMI have several version of each. DVI-D maxes out around 320MHz bandwidth, while HDMI 1.3 has 340MHz. You will not be maxing out either of these connections so both should suffice.

VGA is just out of the question. Although, it's fine for most projectors, the DVI and HDMI will produce less interference in the image and will appear to be a little more crisp.

If you're running above 800x600 resolution make sure it's a single link or better DVI-D connection if you're running on an lcd based projector or HDMI.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
well i only have 2 hdmi ports for 3 devices, so ill probably do the 360 and the pc through HDMI and hook the cable box up via component. I just was thinking if vga was only a little worse than HDMI then id plug the PC in the VGA port and use the HDMI ports for 360 and the cable box.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Originally posted by: DefRef
They're spelled totally differently - sharing only the "V".

im aware that they are different i was just wondering how much of a difference i can expect on a projector. To be honest when i use DVI on my LCD monitor there isn't a huge difference than when i use vga. The DVI is slightly crisper but its nothing that the average person would notice.