Difference between Stock OC and manual OC ?

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
For example if i have GTX 780 with 900 boost clock (Standard Version)
There is also GTX 780 amp edition with 1060 boost clock ...
So if i OC My Standard 780 to 1060 can be there any risk ?
i mean what is the difference between manual and Stock OC?
If there is in the world any Stock OCed card with 1000 or 1050 MHZ if i OC mine to reach that clock there will be Zero risk ? Sure expect overheating if you have hot card with one cooler ...

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
There's next to no risk of damage if you do it slowly and test temps and stability. However, if there is damage your warranty won't cover it, and there's a chance that you won't be able to OC that high or even at all depending on your luck.

Last edited:

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
There's next to no risk of damage if you do it slowly and test temps and stability. However, if there is damage your warranty won't cover it, and there's a chance that you won't be able to OC that high or even at all depending on your luck.

maybe what i asked it;s a bit mess for you guys ....

but i mean ... if i have radeon 7950 with 800 clock and there is also some 7950 ghz edition ... why it can be risky to OC mine to 1000 MHZ ? if temps will be under 55 for example ?

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
maybe what i asked it;s a bit mess for you guys ....

but i mean ... if i have radeon 7950 with 800 clock and there is also some 7950 ghz edition ... why it can be risky to OC mine to 1000 MHZ ? if temps will be under 55 for example ?

Not all chips are created equal, so there is a little bit of risk and uncertainty involved. However, as long as you are not messing with the voltage of the card, the risk of permanently damaging the card is greatly reduced.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Before you OC you should install apps that tell you the Temps of the GPU and VRMS - Hardware Monitor Pro does an excellent job plus GPU-Z and CPU-Z, then the GPU OC'g utility such as MSI Afterburner.

The CPU is OC'd through the MB BIOS .

Every card will OC, some better then others. Of course the more efficient the cooling the better. Generally you can OC about any card approx 100 to 130 Mhz's without increasing Voltages much to dramatically affect temperatures - That is keeping temps below 80C. I would consider 80C safe but I prefer under 70C for an OC'd GPU running at 100% under load 24/7.

With Reference Card Cooling you may not get anymore then say a +.050mv off-set before temps go through the roof. AIB Air Coolers you might get +.100mv and with water block cooling you may get +.140mv off-set all with in a safe temperature when the GPU is under 100% load and running stable with out artifacts or black screening. Whatever the frequency you end up is particuliar to your specific card.

The most voltage you can push through the card with a respectable Temperature will give you your best Frequency OC.

Last edited:

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
Not all chips are created equal, so there is a little bit of risk and uncertainty involved. However, as long as you are not messing with the voltage of the card, the risk of permanently damaging the card is greatly reduced.

well .. that was i wanted to know .... so some chips are stronger and can handle more clocks .... some are weaker ....

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
Before you OC you should install apps that tell you the Temps of the GPU and VRMS - Hardware Monitor Pro does an excellent job plus GPU-Z and CPU-Z, then the GPU OC'g utility such as MSI Afterburner.

Every card will OC, some better then others. Of course the better the cooling the better. Generally you can OC about any card approx 100 to 130 Mhz's without increasing Voltages much to dramatically affect temperatures - That is keeping temps below 80C Vs the Voltage for the MHz's you're obtaining.

With Reference Card Cooling you may not get anymore then say a +.050mv off-set before temps go through the roof. AIB Coolers you might get +.100mv and with water block cooling you may get +.140mv off-set all with in a safe temperature when under 100% load.

The most voltage you can push through the card with a respectable Temperature will give you your best Frequency OC.

so with my dual cooler x 7950 with 925 boost i can reach 1050 with max 60-65 temp .. so if i leave it 24/7 there won't be any risk yes ?

of i haven't touched voltages .....

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
so with my dual cooler x 7950 with 925 boost i can reach 1050 with max 60-65 temp .. so if i leave it 24/7 there won't be any risk yes ?
A max of 65C under 100% load should be fine but No one can answer that as every card is different - Install them Apps and you be the judge ;o)

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
As I understand it - voltage and temperature are what kill electronics in general. Factory overclocked cards often ship with better coolers, and are a higher price in part to offset the greater number of card deaths due to higher clocks and voltages (in addition to changes they've made to the card itself).

Increasing clocks gives a linear increase in heat output. Increasing voltage gives an exponential increase in heat output, as well as being inherently damaging. As long as you keep temperature under control and don't touch voltage, there is relatively little risk.