Difference between silver thermal compound VS adhesive

RossCorp

Jan 22, 2006
Hello, if anyone can advise me on what to do I would greatly appreciate it. I have the Zalman NB47-J, but to attach it you need a MB that has screws around your NB. Well, mine happens to be one of the few that doesn't. It's got those stupid hooks. So my question is this.......

If I put a thermal adhesive on the cooler and attached it to the MB, will it help my temps, or am I better off just applying some new AC5 to the stock cooler and reattaching it?

Also, which adhesive is best from experience?

Thanx

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Uh yes I did. He asked if adhesive would help his temps or if AS5 is fine. Learn how to read. He asked a few questions.

And I was stating my opinion. Stay off the forum if you dont have anything positive to say mr platinum member from 2005....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
adhesive vs thermal compound they both have there advantages.
I have used both and had very good luck with both!

RossCorp

Jan 22, 2006
so both are alright, that's good to know. I was asking because I do have an ASUS board, P4P800-e deluxe, and the only way for me to attach the Zalman cooler is with adhesive, AC5 won't hold it on by itself :). I guess I'll have to go this route, unless someone has an idea on how to jerry-rig an assembly to hold the cooler.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
I would not reccomend themal epoxy for the NB sink. Normally the P4P 800 NB does not run that hot.

For VG thermal tape.. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akshintherin.html

What I would do first is to clean off all the pink bubble gum TIM that ASUS install this sink with, then reinstall it with good thermal grease. Whatever you have that's good. Zalman, CoolerMaster Premium, ThermalRight, AS Ceramique, AS5 is not necessary and the spring clips are low tension. I think the less viscous TIM would be better.

If you CPU's HS fan does not blow down you*may*want to activly cool the NB sink.

No pics but this is what I did, just for fun.
At http://www.allelectronics.com > fans> fans with HS. There are new PIII HSFs, cost $2.50. I bought several just for the very high quality 40x10 BB fan, made in Taiwan. The sink was cut to remove the thin stainless steel retaining braket off the PIII sink. The center flat that says ASUS was removed from the stock NB HS. The retaining bracket locking tabs were streched a bit then it was installed into the ASUS NB sinks fins. Then the fan was slid onto it's locking bits. Time and work...Yes. Cost...$2.50.

A good 40mm fan could just be bonded to the stock NB sink but that flat bit in the center would block alot of air. The same fan could be bonded on the side of it blowing across but that is not the hot set-up ;) For bonding fans to things I like GOOP silicone adhesive much better than super glues. The fan has to be held inplace over night with a couple bits of tape but for long term use the fan will remain attached better IMHO with GOOP.

This fan is fairly quiet at 12V and will start/run at 5V.

...Galvanized

RossCorp

Jan 22, 2006
cool, never thought of thermal pads. Don't really want to go with a fan on the NB though. I have air blowing at it from two angles, so I'm thinking that should be sufficient airflow. I'm definetly going to look into using a thermal pad though, thanks for the idea! :)

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
DO NOT go to CrapUSA and buy their thermal tape. Buy what I linked above, it is much better and cheaper for the amount you get. It's much easyer to install/use than the CrapUSA brand. I've used both.

...Galvanized