Difference between Japanese and Chinese green teas?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I usually get a particular brand of Chinese green tea and they were out so picked up the same manufacturer's in Japanese and can't really tell much of a difference.

Wiki wasn't really useful either

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I would go Japanese.

Chinese definitely has been in the tea business a long time, but I think Japanese products just have better quality and better ingredients.
Especially with all the problems chinese products have been having.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: isekii
I would go Japanese.

Chinese definitely has been in the tea business a long time, but I think Japanese products just have better quality and better ingredients.
Especially with all the problems chinese products have been having.

:confused: While it's true that Japanese teas have more VTEC, yo, I don't think there's a whole lot of lead in the average defective tea bag.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
"All the tea in China."

That's your answer right there. It doesn't go "all the tea in Japan." That's just ludicrous.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I was in Japan last week and they had this thing on TV about Chinese dumplings having some sort of pesticide in them that sickened some Japanese. It was on the news a lot.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I don't know about green teas from china, but some of the more well-known black teas from china have a very earthy flavor. Almost like chewing tobacco or something. Not really fond of them.

Sencha is a japanese tea and is among the best Green Teas I have tried.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
"All the tea in China."

That's your answer right there. It doesn't go "all the tea in Japan." That's just ludicrous.

Actually, India makes more tea than China