Difference between .com and .net

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Well my dreams were shattered when i went to register my site. It was taken. I contacted the guy who has it and he wants $500 for it. Hes owned the site since 2000 and hasnt done a thing with it, which is really frusterating.

So, the .net version of the site i want is available. Besides the obvious, is there any downfalls to using that instead of the .com? Any benefits?

I would think that people are more inclined to type .com than .net

All input is appreciated.

UPDATE 8/10/02

I offered him $150 and he sent an offer back of $200 saying that he'll cut his losses. I dont think im gonna stop there, just gonna hold out and see if he will take the origional $150

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Yeah, I suppose people would type com instead of net. Even IE's got the ctrl+enter shortcut for inserting www.com. But if you plaster your site name, ***.net all over your site I'm sure nobody will forget that it's .net instead of .com.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Cybersquatting is illegal... which is what that dude may or may not be doing depending on the name you have in mind.

If it were me, I'd just get another .com name instead. I don't like .nets...

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Cybersquatting is illegal... which is what that dude may or may not be doing depending on the name you have in mind.

If it were me, I'd just get another .com name instead. I don't like .nets...

that's not considered cybersquatting. here we go again..
rolleye.gif

here's a thread similar on the subject of cybersquatting.

I need to get control of a domain name from the current registrant.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Keep in mind that if your website gets really popular, that guy is gonna be sitting on a gold mine. Imagine what would happen if McDonalds or Pepsi only had the ".net" extension, and not the ".com" one. People would type in ".com" accidentally, and be redirected to a competitor!

It's sad, but I think you'd have to register your domain name with multiple extensions (.com, .net, .biz) to keep it clear.

Heck, just try typing in: www.abit.com

See what I mean?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: tk149
Keep in mind that if your website gets really popular, that guy is gonna be sitting on a gold mine. Imagine what would happen if McDonalds or Pepsi only had the ".net" extension, and not the ".com" one. People would type in ".com" accidentally, and be redirected to a competitor!

It's sad, but I think you'd have to register your domain name with multiple extensions (.com, .net, .biz) to keep it clear.

See what I mean?

or www.nissan.com

that'll be interesting how that turns out. considering the last name of the owner of nissan computers is nissan. and when he created his business, nissan was datsun..

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: dakata24
Originally posted by: tk149

See what I mean?

or www.nissan.com

that'll be interesting how that turns out. considering the last name of the owner of nissan computers is nissan. and when he created his business, nissan was datsun..

Nissan was never Datsun. Datsun was what Nissan called the cars sent to the US. If you can find an old Datsun the badge will usually say Dastun by Nissan.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
nissan was datsun.. when datsun was created, they didn't think of the name nissan yet.. when they had those datsun by nissan badges, they were in the process of changing names and wanted to have both on there so people can associate datsun with nissan until they phased it out

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
man that's jacked what nissan is trying to do to that guy! i read about that about four years ago when i was looking for a car, and i geuss they're still at it, trying to put him out using their ginormousality and kill him with legal-fees....!

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Many normal people (non-AnandTechers) will think every website ends with dot com so when they hear of your site's name, they will probably try the .com extension first.

theforce.net seems to be doing well.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: d33pt
nissan was datsun.. when datsun was created, they didn't think of the name nissan yet.. when they had those datsun by nissan badges, they were in the process of changing names and wanted to have both on there so people can associate datsun with nissan until they phased it out

Yep.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
my website is a .net and i have no complaints. Doesnt mean i wouldnt trade it in a second for the .com instead though.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
.nets are supposed to be for non commericial networks. .orgs are supposed to be non profit organizations. .coms are commercial. I doubt anyone's going to care either way. Since when were you starting a website up? IM me dude.

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
the thread about the guy wanting to sue another to get control of the website was funny.

i think you should just pick another dot com, thats what i did. don't go for dot net IMHO.

think of something creative, and it will be sure to stick, no matter what.

Look at Google. What the hell does a 1 with 100 zeroes after it have to do with the search engine? i'm guessing its a big number and they are trying to show they are a big engine.

Yahoo? now that has no relevance to what they do as far as i know, but, everyone remembers it.

just be creative, take your time, and pick something people will remember, but, IMHO, pick a DOT COM. why don't you post your site's details and maybe we can help you think of something. don't tell us which one you like, just tell us what the details are on the site so we can help you. if you tell us which one you like, even hint at it, someone from here may go out and buy it b4 you and mark it up.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
This thread just reminded me to go register www.azgamer.com .

There was AZGamer, a local store, that owned the domain until mid 2001. It went out of business in late 1999. Is this considered acceptable?

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
The nissan thing reminded me of the FRYE Electronics thing.

Fry's Took FRYE to court over Trademark and cybersquating charges.

FRYE Electronics

Frye history - founded in 1970

Click history - founded in 1985.

Ok 15 years OLDER and DIFFERENT customer base AND SPEELED DIFFERENT.

George Frye spend upwords of 200K on defence if there tradmark that was DIFFERENT than fry's AND had been in use 15 years longer.

My Boss In the middle

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
that's not considered cybersquatting. here we go again..
rolleye.gif

Beat me to it :)

here's a thread similar on the subject of cybersquatting.
I need to get control of a domain name from the current registrant.

Do NOT be that guy.

The $500 price is rather reasonable, actually. Usually people want really really big figures, it really depends on how 'good' the name is (heck, I was offered $75k for one of mine, but I still said no).

Bill

What name did you get offered 75K for?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Thread Hijack...

Wow, I first read about that www.nissan.com thing years ago. I had no idea it was still going on.

Anyway, it's pissed me off enough that I sent the following email to my friends. I'll paste it here so anybody else who might want to help get the word out can use it.

Hey, I don?t usually do this, but I thought I?d get the word out about this story.

It seems that a poor schmuck named Uzi Nissan who owns the domain name www.nissan.com is being sued by Nissan Motors for $10,000,000. The guy has run a computer business called ?Nissan Computer Corp.? since 1991, and registered the domain name in 1994.

Basically, Nissan Motors is trying to bankrupt this guy with lengthy legal proceedings. This is a blatant case of abuse of our beloved judicial system by a giant corporation against a little guy.

Here?s the link to the story: http://www.ncchelp.org/The_Story/the_story.htm

Here?s the link to www.nissan.com: http://www.nissan.com/

So I?m asking all of you to forward this email to your friends, and their friends, and so on (don?t forget to remove all previous email addressees!), in the hope that it will eventually reach enough people to smack Nissan Motors down.

And no, nothing bad will happen to you if you don?t forward this letter. But you may get a nice fuzzy warm feeling inside if you do!

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
what are you using the site for? Is it going to be a commerical site? If so, just think of the $500 as a business expense. Will you be able to recope the costs? If you just using it as a personal site then I wouldn't worry about. I would just go with .net, or even .org