Difference between Board Shorts and Swim trunks

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
whats the difference? do board shorts have underlining (underwear shaped white thing) the way trunks do? if not, why? they both involve water sports!!!

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I thought that board shorts were just longer, to the knees minimum maybe longer.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: joe678
whats the difference? do board shorts have underlining (underwear shaped white thing) the way trunks do? if not, why? they both involve water sports!!!

Have you ever had the boys swinging in the breeze rather than packaged in that mesh like tighty whiteys? Commando!

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Boardshorts are longer and are generally worn by males and tomboys ages 7-24. People wearing them usually don't go that far into the water as opposed to people wearing bodysuits and speedos.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The difference is approximately $15.

"Swim Trunks" can be purchased at Target for about $15. They have a liner, etc. I wear these.

"Board Shorts" are HipKidWear...usually racked right next to Fubu Pants and Chain Wallets...and sell for $30+. Same damn thing, different demographic. :roll:

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
swim trunks are for little boys and old men... (MichaelD that is probably you). Board shorts are much cooler and are worn by most 15-30 year olds with any sense of style.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
swim trunks are for little boys and old men... (MichaelD that is probably you). Board shorts are much cooler and are worn by most 15-30 year olds with any sense of style.

Reread my post, MTV Real Life demographic watcher. :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Staley8
board shorts are designed for surfing . . .

swim trunks are for swimming. . . .:p

duh

:roll:

Board shorts are cooler . . . for any age. ;)

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Okay.

Swim trunks have a mesh lining and elastic in the waist.

Board shorts have a fitted waist (no elastic) with a fastener (like velcro) and a cord to tie. They usually have pockets. They don't have the mesh lining.

Those are the real differences between the two.

Board shorts are made for surfing, but now everyone wears them. They look much better than normal trunks, and they dry faster. You actually can get a decent pair at Target for $15. :p I also think they're more comfortable than swimming trunks.

Wahsapa

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
board shorts you can wear outside of the water, they can be worn as regular shorts, and when you want to jump in the water, no need to change. wearing swim trunks outside of the water.... is wearing swim trunks outside of the water.

board shorts are shorts for surfers. they feel a little more 'free' ;)

swim trunks are... not nice :(

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Okay.

Swim trunks have a mesh lining and elastic in the waist.

Board shorts have a fitted waist (no elastic) with a fastener (like velcro) and a cord to tie. They usually have pockets. They don't have the mesh lining.

Those are the real differences between the two.

Board shorts are made for surfing, but now everyone wears them. They look much better than normal trunks, and they dry faster. You actually can get a decent pair at Target for $15. :p I also think they're more comfortable than swimming trunks.

you are right on all points

i have a pair or Board Shorts, they are plaine blue with white trim, i always took the liner out of swim trunks cause i hated it, and for the longest time i just wore regular adidias shorts for swimming

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

"Swim Trunks" can be purchased at Target for about $15. They have a liner, etc. I wear these.

"Board Shorts" are HipKidWear...usually racked right next to Fubu Pants and Chain Wallets...and sell for $30+. Same damn thing, different demographic. :roll:

that's pretty damn expensive man... I got my trunks (which I think were called "Board Shorts" in fact) at Old Navy for under $5. :)

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SWScorch
that's pretty damn expensive man... I got my trunks (which I think were called "Board Shorts" in fact) at Old Navy for under $5. :)

Old Navy never has and never will sell a true pair of "board shorts".

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Don't cry. If you want cheap-o board shorts like the hip kids have, get them on clearance at the end of the summer.

-geoff