sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So I was getting gas the other day, and I noticed a sticker on the Diesel that it cannot be used in 2007 and newer vehicles. Whats up with that? What are people buying brand new diesel vehicles supposed to use?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IIRC, the EPA has mandated low sulfur diesel be used in 2007 and later models. The exhaust systems on newer diesels are built for this fuel, so you don't want to go dumping the old high sulfur fuel through it.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
2007+ will have new emissions equipment in it, which can now be used due to a drop in sulfur. If you use old diesel with the emissions equipment, it will destroy or, at the very least, damage it severely.

I wouldn't worry about it though. I'm not aware of any passenger cars that will be available with diesels until 2008 (I.e. a long enough time for us to use up all of the old diesel fuel). I'm not sure how this will affect new heavy duty trucks and up.

jkersenbr

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2000
drnickriviera is right...we already have low-sulfur and they are switching to ultra-low sulfur diesel.

What sucks is that sulfur is largely responsible for the lubricative property of diesel fuel. So the newer fuel will be less oily than the older. So, everyone who puts post-2007 fuel in a pre-2007 engine will be running fuel that is out of spec and will eventually kill their injector pump and injectors prematurely. That is, unless they add a fuel additive.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jkersenbr
drnickriviera is right...we already have low-sulfur and they are switching to ultra-low sulfur diesel.

What sucks is that sulfur is largely responsible for the lubricative property of diesel fuel. So the newer fuel will be less oily than the older. So, everyone who puts post-2007 fuel in a pre-2007 engine will be running fuel that is out of spec and will eventually kill their injector pump and injectors prematurely. That is, unless they add a fuel additive.

An article in the Turbo Diesel Register said it's not that sulfur adds lubricity. It's the process that removes the sulfur also removes some of the lubricity. Some are talking about adding a small % of biodiesel to get that lubricity back